Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Question How to merge several separate PT sessions into one ?

Hi Everyone !
I need to find the solution to how to create one long session out of several separate sessions. There are four songs, that need to be put together one after another preserving all individual tempo maps, markers and all audio regions. The beginning of the second song will be for example in measure 97 right after the first song ended. How to import all data from that session, so the starting bar will be 97, and all files will relate to that beginning ? I wanna also keep measures numbers running ( 97, 98, 99 etc.).
Is it even possible within PT to combine several sessions ?
Sincerely,
Chris7514
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Re: How to merge several separate PT sessions into one ?

Best way is to start with a new session.

Import Session Data...

When you import a session, you can simply select where you want the new data to start.

So you can import the first session to start at the beginning... then you can import the next one and designate where you want that one to start, and so on.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Best way is to start with a new session.

Import Session Data...

When you import a session, you can simply select where you want the new data to start.

So you can import the first session to start at the beginning... then you can import the next one and designate where you want that one to start, and so on.
Hi,

but I donīt think, that you can import the tempo map of a second piece, without deleting the tempomap of the one before...or am I wrong?

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 03-02-2011, 06:24 AM

select where the new session starts go to tempo and enter the tempo of the new session
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Sorry, I have to ask.......why? What is the goal here? At first glance, I would be tempted to simply mix each session, bounce them all down, and then import the final stereo tracks into a new session where I would string them together(but I may be missing the point here)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey01 View Post
select where the new session starts go to tempo and enter the tempo of the new session
So, no chance to get the tempo within the "Import Session" Dialog without loosing the one before...?

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 03-02-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Sorry, I have to ask.......why? What is the goal here? At first glance, I would be tempted to simply mix each session, bounce them all down, and then import the final stereo tracks into a new session where I would string them together(but I may be missing the point here)
Itīs for film scoring...
If you wanne import stuff, you had f.e. in Reel 01 and wanna import it into Reel 02, without temp Mixes, cause you wanna edit in the arrangement with SamplerInstruments (MIDI etc)...

Just with Audio, fine, but yeah...MIDI is the point...

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Chris !
Exactly, that's my point. In my case it is for a live production show with video. The live musicians will be performing to a click track ( sweetener). I wanted to have the particular groups of instruments on separate outputs of 002R, all tempo maps, markers etc. from all "component sessions" preserved as a continuation. Another words: merging previous session as a whole into a new one with a starting point. I did also notice that after importing data from the session 2 in a chain, all tempo maps, markers etc. dissapeared from session one. Bar 97 ( beginning of a song 2) became bar 1. Previous song ( session) had negative bar numbers (!!!). All tempo data were gone etc. Total mess !!
Since then I walked around the issue, and created a big session manually importing just audio stems to particular tracks and creating a tempo map manually for each song in a chain. ( it took all day, sorry to say, but it had to be done).
I'm really frustrated that it is not possible to merge "component" sessions into one preserving ALL data in a chain.
For film scoring for example this may be crucial to be able to put together session after session data into a big one, especially if you worked on scoring cues as separate sessions...
Am I missing something here ?
Chris7514
Old 03-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7514 View Post
Chris !
Exactly, that's my point. In my case it is for a live production show with video. The live musicians will be performing to a click track ( sweetener). I wanted to have the particular groups of instruments on separate outputs of 002R, all tempo maps, markers etc. from all "component sessions" preserved as a continuation. Another words: merging previous session as a whole into a new one with a starting point. I did also notice that after importing data from the session 2 in a chain, all tempo maps, markers etc. dissapeared from session one. Bar 97 ( beginning of a song 2) became bar 1. Previous song ( session) had negative bar numbers (!!!). All tempo data were gone etc. Total mess !!
Since then I walked around the issue, and created a big session manually importing just audio stems to particular tracks and creating a tempo map manually for each song in a chain. ( it took all day, sorry to say, but it had to be done).
I'm really frustrated that it is not possible to merge "component" sessions into one preserving ALL data in a chain.
For film scoring for example this may be crucial to be able to put together session after session data into a big one, especially if you worked on scoring cues as separate sessions...
Am I missing something here ?
Chris7514
Chris, no thatīs ok...
But the problem is, that I just canīt use AudioStems, cause I need the MIDI Stuff, cause the score isnīt finished and to be flexible till the end...., yepp, thatīs the problem...

I now imported the tracks, without the tempomap of the 2nd Session after the 1st into the BigOne...with offset setting in the "Session import Dialog" and copied the tempo map from Session Nr.2 via copy-paste manually into the BigOne, starting at the offset point.
That works for me, but you have always to go a 2nd time into the source, copy to clipboard, close session, enter BigOne, look for the point to paste in...
It works, but there really should be the option to import the "TempoTrack" also with offset...and markers also...)
Would be a great feature...

www.TwinMusic.de
Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 AM

And yes- MIDI and virtual instruments data is the point, along with all tempo maps, markers etc. The light changes on stage are also synchronized to the tempo maps in the session.
There should be a simple command : import session with specified location.
Right now we have import session data...
But when you specify what to import and to which starting point, the "OK" command wipes out all your previous session data !!! Did anyone notice it ??
Chris7514