Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 PM

Default Default Waveform height is not right

SOLVED !

If you click AND hold the waveform height icon you can now continuously adjust the waveform height while dragging mouse up and down.
Thanks !
Old 09-07-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Default Waveform height is not right

Wow. There are so many ways to adjust the way the amplitude aspect of the waveform looks, I don't know what to say.

Try pressing the Command AND Option Keys at the same time and then playing with the [ and ] keys (just to the right of the letter P here on a US keyboard).

I usually don't normalize waveforms and so I can't tell you what a normalized sine wave is supposed to look like, except to say you can make the wave look very small or very tall in PT.

Seems pro enough to me.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 AM

The problem is you can´t find the setting that show the correct height.
It would be better to have a fixed correct height within the track and then change the height on the track itself to be able to do surgery edits. Now you can do both but with no setting that shows the real actual amplitude, that is not pro to me.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
The problem is you can´t find the setting that show the correct height.
It would be better to have a fixed correct height within the track and then change the height on the track itself to be able to do surgery edits. Now you can do both but with no setting that shows the real actual amplitude, that is not pro to me.
Still can't agree. There is no "problem". You are misusing the words "correct" and "better".

As the height of each track is variable from the smallest height "micro" to the largest "extreme", are you going to also argue that there should be a "correct" track height setting within which to view the "correct" amplitude?

The tracks at any height setting clearly show the "real actual" amplitude relationship between no sound and full scale sound.

And it's easy enough (although I think it unnecessary) to begin a session by printing tones to the track at any reference level you choose if you need to see where on the track height you have chosen a "correct" level is.

Just to point out another misused word in your post: If professionals are using any device to perform professional work (whether you like the device or not), what they are using is clearly "pro".

Why not say you don't like the meter implementation, as many have said, and let it go at that?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiostuff View Post

As the height of each track is variable from the smallest height "micro" to the largest "extreme", are you going to also argue that there should be a "correct" track height setting within which to view the "correct" amplitude?

The tracks at any height setting clearly show the "real actual" amplitude relationship between no sound and full scale sound.
I believe the original poster's issue is the height of the waveform, not the track height. My Pro Tools HD3 system does not default to a 1:1 relationship between the height of the waveform within a track and the originating amplitude /voltage. There used to be a key command plus click on the edit view waveform zoom icon, but I can't remember it or find it anywhere. Anyone know it?

kopper
Old 09-09-2012, 03:23 AM

The bad thing is not that Pro Tools doesn´t defalut to the real amplitude, but the fact there is NO setting available that shows the correct amplitude !
This must me the most fundamental feature of them all ????

Can AVID chime in here ?

The two settings that is most close to the correct amplitude in Pro Tools is not even close...
http://evan.se/bilder/IncorrectHeight.png

Another DAW shows correct height ( even as default...)
http://evan.se/bilder/CorrectHeight.png
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM

I love to know what you think the difference is between the "real" amplltude and the "correct" amplitude.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 AM

Its no difference at all...
Did you look at the pictures ?
Can you admit that a full scale sound should go from top to bottom in a waveform view. 99 out of 100 DAWs and Sound editors out there can do it right but not Pro Tools.
English is not my native language, so appologies if I can´t explain better what I mean but look at the pictures above and it should be pretty clear what I mean.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Its no difference at all...
Did you look at the pictures ?
Can you admit that a full scale sound should go from top to bottom in a waveform view. 99 out of 100 DAWs and Sound editors out there can do it right but not Pro Tools.
English is not my native language, so appologies if I can´t explain better what I mean but look at the pictures above and it should be pretty clear what I mean.
RTFM:

control+option+command+[
Sets all tracks to default vertical zoom (FS sine to top and bottom of waveform view)

Double-clicking the zoom tool sets all tracks to default vertical zoom *and* sets horizontal zoom to entire session.

Also, waveform heights are *continuously* variable with an Avid control surface (C24, D-Control, etc...). I believe you can also do it with the correct modifier keys and a scroll wheel on your trackball (can't remember the modifiers since never do it that way).

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
RTFM:

control+option+command+[
Sets all tracks to default vertical zoom (FS sine to top and bottom of waveform view)

Double-clicking the zoom tool sets all tracks to default vertical zoom *and* sets horizontal zoom to entire session.

Also, waveform heights are *continuously* variable with an Avid control surface (C24, D-Control, etc...). I believe you can also do it with the correct modifier keys and a scroll wheel on your trackball (can't remember the modifiers since never do it that way).
Cool, will check it out tonight.