Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Understanding System Usage

Does any one know where there is better information regarding HD system usage? How does plugin sharing work? Why do we have surroundmixer and stereomixer and how much power of our hd cards do these use? Whats the difference between voices allocated and time slots used?
Old 06-07-2010, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Understanding System Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviesound View Post
Does any one know where there is better information regarding HD system usage? How does plugin sharing work? Why do we have surroundmixer and stereomixer and how much power of our hd cards do these use? Whats the difference between voices allocated and time slots used?

These are good questions. I wish there was more info readily available.

Page 57 of the PT reference guide talks about System Usage, Time Slots, etc. It's not the most detailed part of the guide. I can tell you that depending on sample rate, track count, RTAS plugs on Auxes (which takes voices), bussing within the session, automation, and voice count per DSP, the HD cards can change with the amount of power per session. If, at 96k, on an HD3 I run a session at 5 DSP's at 80 voices, and have 60-70 tracks, with bussing and HW outputs to headphone systems, my default template plugs (Revibe/TL Space/Echo Farm/H-Delay/Digi Pitch plug TDM on Aux returns) and 6-8 Aux returns for drums, keys, bass, guitars, vocals, percussion, etc, I can chew up a lot of the HD cards' processing with just that. I'll run TDM plugs on Auxes and RTAS plugs on individual tracks after they've been recorded (and do a little TDM->RTAS dance in the process).

When I record at 48k, I have a LOT more DSP room, card/chip-wise.

I cant help but feel that the dance is worth it, though. 88.2 and 96k is where I've been moving with Mac Pro's and RTAS plugs like SSL and CLA and the Glue.

As always, depending on your card count, session needs, and sample rate, your mileage will definitely vary.