Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT 8.0.3 - Mighty Mouse Horizontal Scrolling = Totally Erratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
As far as I can remember version 7 also had turbo scrolling on the horizontal side. So if you did the comparison to 7.4.2 maybe the difference would be minimal. But I dont think it serves any purpose whatsoever to compare one malfunction to another. You should (In my "humble" opinion") think about WHAT is normal and what feels good and try to "Cure" PT 8 instead of aligning its ailment to that of its predecessor (No offense meant)
7.4.2 didn't have turbo scrolling.

As for WHAT is normal and feels good - hey, it worked for me and about 100 other testers so I'd say the problem, given that and what other people in this thread are saying, probably resides somewhere other than in Pro Tools.

Quote:
Sounds to me as if none of them were seriously utilizing horizontal scrolling

Quote:
As I said, horizontal scrolling in PT7 was NOT AT ALL anything to write home about. So there is really no need comparing the too.
Ok, now we're getting into some other territory here. This sounds more like a personal preference than anything. I took extreme care in evaluating and helping implement fixes for the acceleration problems introduced in 8.0.

Quote:
Song is 6:14 and my screen estate displays about 36 seconds.

The problem REALLY starts to gain magnitude once zoomed in at milliseconds.
How far does a single 'click' of the Mighty Mouse button move the display?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Yeah, I got a Magic Mouse recently and horizontal scrolling is totally poo in PT8. Same thing with Logitech's mouse but that's understandable (well, not really as other apps work fine) as horizontal scrolling works via the tilting of the scroll wheel.

But it really should be different with Apple's Mighty/Magic Mouse, as you can control the speed of horizontal scrolling. I have no idea why Digidesign would not simply admit that it's something that needs fixing, rather than a mention of an older version of PT or the size of a monitor.

Hopefully one day...
With Logitech you MUST install the control panel and driver software for it to work properly. There are additional per app controls for it in it's control panel, though I found even the default settings were acceptable.

I'm not going to admit anything wrong because of all the work that I personally did on this and the acceptance by a large number of beta and in-house testers that confirmed my evaluation. I don't believe, given the number of people who have said 'it's fixed' compared to the 8.0 version that had problems, that there's anything wrong with our implementation.

If there is something wrong, I need some solid proof - which is why I was asking specific questions.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
7.4.2 didn't have turbo scrolling.

As for WHAT is normal and feels good - hey, it worked for me and about 100 other testers so I'd say the problem, given that and what other people in this thread are saying, probably resides somewhere other than in Pro Tools.

Ok, now we're getting into some other territory hear. This sounds more like a personal preference than anything. I took extreme care in evaluating and helping implement fixes for the acceleration problems introduced in 8.0.

How far does a single 'click' of the Mighty Mouse button move the display?
The last comment has nothing or VERY little to do with scrolling. Scrolling on OS X is depending on acceleration. Sure, if you CAREFULLY roll the mighty mouse by ONE incremental left roll the estate moves slowly. But that is NOT how a NORMAL user operates. And ALL other applications aside from PT are adapting PERFECTLY. I am really disturbed by the fact that you are not able to feel that when operating OS X. (No disrespect intended). Remember, I am not writing all this because I aint got better things to do but as an OS X DAILY power user I notice this problem IMMEDIATELY. Hence my being very persistent in getting a fix.

So, I have made 1 screenshot of my mouse settings in the preferences control panel and two movies. 1 is PT scrolling and 1 is logic scrolling.

Both song lengths have been set to 6 Minutes and 50 seconds. Both have an identical wave file which is 20 seconds in length and it has been set to fill the screen. The video will begin showing the start of the song and then the end to demonstrate that they are indeed identical.

Then I'll go to the song start and turn the scroll wheel to the right with a standard finger movement. As I usually do.
In the Logic video you will see that "one scroll" takes me to 40 Seconds down the timeline.

The PT video displays that "one scroll" takes me to 3 Minutes and 53 seconds.

That is a serious difference that SHOULD NOT be there. And PT is the ONLY application that I have EVER come across showing this odd behavior. If you guys think this is NORMAL then OK. But then I suggest you take a closer look at what NORMAL means:

normal |ˈnôrməl|
adjective
conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected

The scroll wheel is SUCH a great great great utility for working fast but the implementation in PT makes it impossible to use in comparison to other apps. Please, try ON OS X to use various applications and the go back to PT. There is a huge difference. HUGE.

Here are the files

Mouse Settings Screenshot

Logic Pro 9 Scrolling

Pro Tools 8.0.3 Scrolling