Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Default PT 8.0.3 - Mighty Mouse Horizontal Scrolling = Totally Erratic

Been a lof of posts about this topic before the final release of PT 8.0.3.

Just installed the update and deleted ALL preferences. As a matter of fact I deleted everything having to do with PT and did it all freshly.

I have my Mighty Mouse Scrolling set to 25% shy of the possible maximum.
It works perfectly in ALL applications aside from PT 8.0.3 (All 8 versions).
One slight movement to the right will have me scrolling ALL the way to the end of 5 minute song. 8.0.3 is just as erratic as its predecessor.

You did MANAGE to fix VERTICAL scrolling. So maybe it was too hard to fix the horizontal as well. Should we wait till Version 9 or 10?

Digi, I set a big - no I am lying - HUGE question mark in front of your testing abilities. And I seriously doubt that you are in possession of a mighty mouse. IF you were you would ADDRESS this issue IMMEDIATELY.

IF you PM me your bank account information I would be happy to wire you $69,00 to purchase ONE mighty mouse.
That amount will even fix you to get the Bluetooth Special Luxury Version.

If this is a problem due to Windows compatibility then for God's sake give us a preference where we can adjust this.

As of now, you have and that LITERALLY - Moi ---

Scrolling ALL over the PLACE
Old 12-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Avid

Default Re: PT 8.0.3 - Mighty Mouse Horizontal Scrolling = Totally Erratic

I did the testing on this. I have a Mighty Mouse and did direct comparisons between 7.4.2 and 8.0.3 (and the 8.0.1cs1 that also included this fix). There was very little variation between the two - there certainly was some, but not enough to cause this kind of panic.

Our in house test team and beta testers gave this a go, so I'm not sure what you're experiencing.

I will make a video of both 7.4.2 and 8.0.3 so you can see exactly what I was seeing.

Quick question - at what zoom level are you at (how big is your screen and how many minutes/seconds is shown?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:47 AM

25 ghost, do you have 10.6.2 installed?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I did the testing on this. I have a Mighty Mouse and did direct comparisons between 7.4.2 and 8.0.3 (and the 8.0.1cs1 that also included this fix). There was very little variation between the two - there certainly was some, but not enough to cause this kind of panic.
As far as I can remember version 7 also had turbo scrolling on the horizontal side. So if you did the comparison to 7.4.2 maybe the difference would be minimal. But I dont think it serves any purpose whatsoever to compare one malfunction to another. You should (In my "humble" opinion") think about WHAT is normal and what feels good and try to "Cure" PT 8 instead of aligning its ailment to that of its predecessor (No offense meant)

Quote:
Our in house test team and beta testers gave this a go, so I'm not sure what you're experiencing.
Sounds to me as if none of them were seriously utilizing horizontal scrolling

Quote:
I will make a video of both 7.4.2 and 8.0.3 so you can see exactly what I was seeing.
As I said, horizontal scrolling in PT7 was NOT AT ALL anything to write home about. So there is really no need comparing the too.

Quote:
Quick question - at what zoom level are you at (how big is your screen and how many minutes/seconds is shown?
Song is 6:14 and my screen estate displays about 36 seconds.

The problem REALLY starts to gain magnitude once zoomed in at milliseconds.

A fix would be more than fantastic.

Thanks for chiming in
Old 12-16-2009, 09:49 AM

Yeah, I got a Magic Mouse recently and horizontal scrolling is totally poo in PT8. Same thing with Logitech's mouse but that's understandable (well, not really as other apps work fine) as horizontal scrolling works via the tilting of the scroll wheel.

But it really should be different with Apple's Mighty/Magic Mouse, as you can control the speed of horizontal scrolling. I have no idea why Digidesign would not simply admit that it's something that needs fixing, rather than a mention of an older version of PT or the size of a monitor.

Hopefully one day...
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I have no idea why Digidesign would not simply admit that it's something that needs fixing, rather than a mention of an older version of PT or the size of a monitor.
Truth be told, I don't think the good folk in dali city is using horizontal scrolling much. Ain't until recently that the whole Windows world begun catching up on horizontal scrolling.

I think that is where the shoe is squeezing the foot.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM

Hmm - I'm in 10.5.8 and my Mighty Mouse is now scrolling perfectly, which it hasn't done since 8.0cs3.

A snow leopard issue perhaps? How are other people's mighty and not-so-mighty mice behaving in 8.0.3?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM

So far today my Mighty Mouse is actually better than it was in 8.0cs3. Using 10.5.8/MacPro/HD2/8.03. I set my scrolling in System prefs slightly faster than factory Apple defaults.

Frank
Old 12-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordist View Post
So far today my Mighty Mouse is actually better than it was in 8.0cs3. Using 10.5.8/MacPro/HD2/8.03. I set my scrolling in System prefs slightly faster than factory Apple defaults.

Frank
Could you try comparing the vertical against horizontal scrolling. Here on SL the ratio is about 10:1 with vertical being 1 and horizontal being 10 times faster. At least.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:12 AM

Horizontal scrolling is totally fine here. Apple Mighty Mouse, 10.6.2.

Oliver