Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Avid

Default Re: Lets ALL chip in and buy and second HARD DRIVE for digi, so they can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Hi

I tried that but it did not help.

Only workaround is this:

Copy my home folder back to the original location and set it accordingly in the account preferences then do a reboot.

The problem is definitely somewhere in the nature of the home folder. As I installed I noticed that the dock quit twice. Once to remove the PT icon and once to add it again. The installer never even made it that far as it stalled.

Digi, I think you need to take this VERY serious. Either that or PRAY HARD that no one figures out how great it is to actually being able to locate one's home folder to an external hard drive.

This is 2009 - at least an installer should be bug free. At least considering that I have been telling you this the past 2 years.
The installer IS bug free and you're doing something outside the scope of normal operation or convention.

I've taken a look at that site and the optimizations - I'd be curious what you're seeing as far as actual performance gains. I've used the method of putting data on a separate drive (Mail, iTunes, photos, etc) for years and, honestly, it's not THAT much of a performance increase. How often are you going to have data access contention between Mail, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. and your applications?

Also, there's an easier way to move your Home folder (including Mail data) to another drive - go to System Preferences>Accounts and click the lock, enter your password, then right-click on the account listed in the left hand panel and choose 'Advanced Options' - you can then choose a new folder for your Home.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Lets ALL chip in and buy and second HARD DRIVE for digi, so they can...

I think he's saying the performance gains are in using an SSD, which isn't large enough for all of the data contained in the home folder. It makes sense to me. I myself am waiting for larger SSD to become available so there's no need for that work around.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
The installer IS bug free and you're doing something outside the scope of normal operation or convention.
No its not. I can recreate this problem on three different CPUs with PT LE & PT HD.

Quote:
Also, there's an easier way to move your Home folder (including Mail data) to another drive - go to System Preferences>Accounts and click the lock, enter your password, then right-click on the account listed in the left hand panel and choose 'Advanced Options' - you can then choose a new folder for your Home.
Like I stated numerous of times. That is the way I am ALREADY doing it
Just like it was stated as a new feature in Leopard 10.5.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Lightbulb Re: Lets ALL chip in and buy and second HARD DRIVE for digi, so they can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
... FINALLY - FIX their OS X Leopard & Snow Leopard Installer.

Apparently digi has money problems
Actually, its Avid, but yes they do have money problems, in the form of a quarterly loss for the 2nd quarter. You can find the SEC filing at avid.com somewhere.

Quote:
1 - Install Leopard
2 - In system preferences, right click the admin account and choose advanced
3 - Assign the HOME directory to a DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE (Cost for 100GIG = $40,00
4 - Delete the OLD Home folder
5 - Reboot

This works with ALL applications and OS X, wonderfully. The only app, or whatever you might call it which cannot hack it is the PT Installer.

6 - Try to install pt after a reboot.

The installer will let you know that it should take about 4 minutes to complete installation but it will halt 7/8 through the installation.
When you do this, do you have the installer log window open (command+L), with the logging option set to show all details (command+3)? If it's halting 7/8 through, the logging data should indicate where it is hanging, or better yet, why.

Quote:
I have to craete a DUMMY admin account residing in the USER folder and install PT from there. Then CHANGE all the permissions
as they have been set WRONGLY to the DUMMY account name,
Sorry, but the permissions were not set wrongly. They were set based upon the account that was used to install them. This might not be what you desire, but since you installed it from a DUMMY account, the permissions were set accordingly. To say the permissions were set WRONGLY is flat-out inaccurate.

What happens if you change your steps to the following?
1 - Install Leopard
3 - Assign the HOME directory to a DIFFERENT HARD DRIVE (Cost for 100GIG = $40,00
4 - Reboot
5 - Delete the OLD home folder

I have used the advanced settings to change UIDs, and I have found that if you do not restart immediately after that funky things happen when creating additional user accounts. Perhaps deleting the old home folder before rebooting is contributing to the problem.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Actually, its Avid, but yes they do have money problems, in the form of a quarterly loss for the 2nd quarter. You can find the SEC filing at avid.com somewhere.

Here: http://www.avid.com/us/pressroom/Sec...9-Results.aspx
Old 09-16-2009, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
I was being Ironic. Not actually going to set up the fund
And I dont know about your interfaces and Software etc. But MINE STILL
says digidesign and as long as they do I am going to refer to them as digidesign. I dont own a single thing with an AVID logo on it. (I think)

Quote:
When you do this, do you have the installer log window open (command+L), with the logging option set to show all details (command+3)? If it's halting 7/8 through, the logging data should indicate where it is hanging, or better yet, why.
NO, did not even know I could do that. I will try next time I need to install PT and report back.

Quote:
Sorry, but the permissions were not set wrongly. They were set based upon the account that was used to install them. This might not be what you desire, but since you installed it from a DUMMY account, the permissions were set accordingly. To say the permissions were set WRONGLY is flat-out inaccurate.
Need to read between the lines here baby Set wrongly is a VERY abstract word and is to be interpreted according to the situation. IN my case, I was FORCE to create a DUMMY account and in that case the permissions were wrong for another account (My Case) even though OS X had set the permissions correctly. But we dont wanna count Apples here.

Quote:
What happens if you change your steps to the following?
1 - Install Leopard
4 - Reboot
5 - Delete the OLD home folder
Actually, that is the way I did it. OS X SL WONT let you continue without rebooting after assigning
a new home folder. Goes without saying that I deleted that folder after the reboot.
Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
I have used the advanced settings to change UIDs, and I have found that if you do not restart immediately after that funky things happen when creating additional user accounts. Perhaps deleting the old home folder before rebooting is contributing to the problem.
Like stated above that was not the case.

Thanks though. I'll try the Log thing next time.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM

So, I tried AGAIN and I think I found a problem. A problem with the installer that is.

If the PT Dock Icon (which I have moved from its original location) to the left of the dock rather than the right side, the installer will halt (according to the install log with when attempting to remove the dock icon with the following line

Code:
Sep 25 18:25:24 ComputerName installd[13920]: ./preflight: Use of uninitialized value $text in pattern match (m//) at /Volumes/Hard Drive/MyHome/Desktop/Install Pro Tools HD Updater.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Application Files.pkg/Contents/Resources/remove_icon_from_dock.pl line 80, <DOCKPREFS> line 46.
this was the error
Code:
Sep 25 18:25:24 ComputerName installd[13920]: *** process 13920 exceeded 500 log message per second limit  -  remaining messages this second discarded ***
And it will take about 6 hours before the installer shoots a dialog stating that the installation failed. Then I WILL have to reinstall PT 8.0 because what the Installer DOES is to REMOVE/DELETE PT from the app folder but it WONT install a new version. So when I try to RUN the update again it states that PT is NOT INSTALLED, and thus the updater cannot run... What a JOKE...

OK. So I tried to remove the PT Dock Icon after installing PT 8.0 all over again(From a different account, before running the update from my MOVED account again.

This time the installer did NOT halt at the dock thing but something very disturbing happened.
In the end of installation I got a dialog that "You have chosen to install material which are located on the updater DVD, please insert that" WTF... I dont have ANY updater DVD what so ever. So, as I tried to FORCE QUIT the installer nothing happened. In fact I could NOT open ANY apps or finder windows. All I could do was to hold the Mac power button and jump start the CPU.

Now, NO BOOT was happening. So I booted from a different drive and found out that I wasnt able to access(Finder) the hard drive where I had tried to install protools. So I opened the Terminal and had to log in as SUDO to view the drive. The PT installer had the set the permissions ALL WRONG. So I had to run a CHMOD 777 on the drive to able to boot from it again. After booting from that drive I repaired my disk permission which normally takes 2 minutes. This time it took 4 hours. And it was ALL the digi stuff which had wrong permissions. According to the details in the disk utility window.

Regardless whether you believe me or NOT Mr. DTS... Your installer has a MAJOR problem which I can RECREATE every time. Just install OS X Leopard or Snow Leopard and assign the home folder to ANY other physical hard disk than the OS itself. Then in SYS PREF assign the home folder as well, reboot and try installing PT.

In all honesty, I am seriously disappointed that you have not fixed this given the fact that I have been reporting this since early Leopard Days.