Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Sync HD Speed Cal Help

Ok I just had to move my HD rig from a studio back home. Dont ask why it is better this way. But after I get everything set up and working again I notice my Sync HD's Speed Cal light is red. I know that means something is off. I am sure I hooked everything up right but I guess I am missing something. I am connecting the Sync to a 192i/o and Magma Chassis with 1 core card and 2 accel. The only problem I see is I have the wordclock going from the sync out to the 192 wordclock in, but not the 192 wc out to the sync wc in. Could this be the problem. I also have the clock source set for optical so I can set a aux track and get audio playback from all my non protools apps like itunes. Is there some obvious problem I am missing? This may make no since I am just trying to include all the information I can. Thanks to anyone who can help. I would call digi but it is the weekend. I have updated the sync firmware too.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Sync HD Speed Cal Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysyphus300021 View Post
The only problem I see is I have the wordclock going from the sync out to the 192 wordclock in, but not the 192 wc out to the sync wc in. Could this be the problem. I also have the clock source set for optical so I can set a aux track and get audio playback from all my non protools apps like itunes. Is there some obvious problem I am missing? This may make no since I am just trying to include all the information I can. Thanks to anyone who can help. I would call digi but it is the weekend. I have updated the sync firmware too.
You might try downloading the manual as you configuration is way off. It is very detailed and if the Sync HD manual is like the Sync I/O manual, pages 8-14 ought to do the trick.
(First thing I notice is that you need to be using Loop Sync with your interface(s). Wordclock is primarily for your digital peripherals. I do not have a chassis, so that may be a factor... i don't know.)

Regarding playing apps from your computer.. look in your AMS on your Mac. match that to your session (48k, etc), and you also need to setup a digital input in your hardware setup menu. That needs to be the input in your AUX. SB
Old 07-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply. From what I am reading in the manual I am not way off. Just a little. The only difference it shows in the hook up is I dont need the loop sync. With out that I am still getting the red light.

Now that I download the manual off the digi site, I see differences in my manual I got with the sync and the one online. The one I have in person says to connect the wordclock and not loop. But the one online says to connect loop but not wordclock. I will try both.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM

loop sync only

Is your manual the Sync IO or SYNC HD ?

Only the very first version of the sync IO ( not Sync HD ) said to use WC only
when HD first came out the initial version of Firmware did not allow Loop Sync
So the manual you have is likely the oldest possible version you can use

But this bring an issue. that seems to occur regularly and for the life of I cant figure it out
" Why do people even use, install old software, Old hardware, or open Old Manuals ? "
when common sense dictates that you should research to see if newer or Updated versions of the software, the hardware, or the Manuals exist
PRIOR to spending time experimenting or creating the same old situation " Why does the old versions not work " it said it works with a G3 and above " ( does not make it true )
and not even realizing that there was no G5 or mac-pro at that time

Do people even use the software in the box ?

Not trying to sidetrack the post at all

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 AM

Why have people turned into asses here? I have updated all the firmware on all the equipment and installed all new software. I have had this setup working for a year now with no red light. I moved all the equipment and set it up all the same way it had been set up for the past year. Something in the move happened I was just asking if anyone else had the problem and what they did to fix it. So the " Why do people even use, install old software, Old hardware, or open Old Manuals ? " I was not assuming it would work with of firmware and software. I was also using the new manual just went and looked at the old one when the person said I was way off and go look at it. I had updated everything in the setup so there was no reason to assume I had not done that. Stop trying to make yourself seem better/smarter then people online. This is a help forum if you are not going to help them please do not respond to my post. And I am running the Sync HD not I/O.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysyphus300021 View Post
Why have people turned into asses here? I have updated all the firmware on all the equipment and installed all new software. I have had this setup working for a year now with no red light. I moved all the equipment and set it up all the same way it had been set up for the past year. Something in the move happened I was just asking if anyone else had the problem and what they did to fix it. So the " Why do people even use, install old software, Old hardware, or open Old Manuals ? " I was not assuming it would work with of firmware and software. I was also using the new manual just went and looked at the old one when the person said I was way off and go look at it. I had updated everything in the setup so there was no reason to assume I had not done that. Stop trying to make yourself seem better/smarter then people online. This is a help forum if you are not going to help them please do not respond to my post. And I am running the Sync HD not I/O.
So... is it working for you yet? Do you have extra BnC cables? Try switching those around if it is still not working. Are you using other peripherals ? Did you get your digital input working? SB
Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
" Why do people even use, install old software, Old hardware, or open Old Manuals ? "
when common sense dictates that you should research to see if newer or Updated versions of the software, the hardware, or the Manuals exist
PRIOR to spending time experimenting or creating the same old situation " Why does the old versions not work " it said it works with a G3 and above " ( does not make it true )
and not even realizing that there was no G5 or mac-pro at that time

Do people even use the software in the box ?
Sorry but that was not a statement but it was rather in the form of a question ( and a general one ) not directed towards anyone

so if you got upset than YOU got upset ( im sorry )

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM

Could there be some conflict between your optical sample rate & the rate the sync is set to ?
~ 2019 Rack Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 core 384 GB RAM Catalina 10.15.7 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12.0 / HDX 2 + UAD2 PCIe OCTO+QUAD / HD I/O's x 4 + 1 x 96io / Digidesign Pre's x 3 / Avid S6 M10-24 -V22.12.1.34 ~
~ Mac Pro 8 core - clover - 13 GB ram - 10.6.8 / HD5 / Pro Tools 9.0.6 / Magma PE6R4 ~ ARCHIVE RIG

~ Mac Pro (Early 2009) - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core-32 GB RAM-10.13.6 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.10 / Apollo 16 / Avid S3 ~
Old 07-12-2009, 11:40 AM

Could there be some conflict between your optical sample rate & the rate the sync is set to ?

That is what I am thinking.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM

I've only used the Sync HD a couple of times, but always using Loop Sync out to the 192 and back again. Not sure what you mean by connecting it to a Magma chassis?
I know that the Host cable still goes to the HD Core in the chassis, but as far as the clocking, I have still used Loop Sync. I believe you should be set to Sync I/O Internal clock in the session setup.
I'm not familiar with using iTunes, etc with an optical connection. I still have to toggle between Mac out and Digi hardware in the sound preferences, but iTunes and QT will play through Digi hardware.