Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Simpson View Post

Even at 48/24, 60-80 tracks is a lot to ask of a single drive. It might be possible and even common for some systems, but it's not light duty for sure. What kind of drive is it that you're using in there anyway? You said it's a SATA drive, but what is the make and model?
All 4 Drives are Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA drives. (1) 250GB (2) 750GB (1) 500GB Capacity of all drives is far over 60% unused.

I'll check my exact DAE buffer sizes I'm using.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Also, playback buffer is at 1500ms(Level 2) I've gone from 1-3
Old 08-10-2008, 11:35 AM

Did I miss something or did you mention if the drives you are using for recording or external or internal. If you haven't tried it, use external drives, making sure journaling is enabled, also make sure that they are in read mode (command I-for get info) and make sure your permissions, databases, blah blah ...are trashed. ALso, are you using other applications while trying to track? That's usually a no no.

Again I am just gessing that you are trying to record on yout internal drives. It can be sone but the messages you are receiveinf seem to point the fact that your system drive is working pretty hard. Ad an 80 track session to that and KA-BOOM!
Old 08-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Well, they're all internal however the system drive, samples drive, and drive I record to are all separate thus leaving the system drive free to only run pro tools while I'm recording.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Re: DAE - 9073 On A Fairly Powerful System

I just had this issue and resolved it by switching firewire enclosures. Seems like the FW 800 port on the case I was using is NG. Might be your problem too...

Andy Snavley
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 AM

Yea, I'm only using internal hard drives. All 7200 RPM SATA internal drives @ far less than 50% capacity. I have 4 internal, one for the system/pro tools app, one for recording to, one for streaming samples. Should be far sufficient.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
unfortunately it's happening in almost every session i do, w or w/o automation of any sorts. worst part is, about a month ago I decided to wipe the whole system, clean install, format all drives, re download all plug-ins and programs and I'm still having the issues across the board.
Hi

Are you using internal drives that also have your application on it? Don't do that. Also, get the application that is listed at the top of this forum and run iton all you syste,. It deletes databases as mentioned before and other prefs, etc., which could be messing you up.

Also, only have the drives running (external) that you are using for your particular session. You can easily remount and dismount with a (command :-colon) and it will show your workspace nad you can go up to the upper left hand corner of the window and choose what drives to unmount and remount.

Also, are you doing a round robin disk allocation? If you are doing a lot of work then it might be the way for you.

Last 2 cents is to make sure your drives are compatible, usually the same type, 7200 RPM minimum and have at it.

You may have a corrupted application too, so you may need to uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools. Best of luck to you! Hope some of this helps!!!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...5&itemid=23132

IDE/ATA & SATA Hard Drives

SATA Hard Drives
Internal SATA drives are qualified for up to 32 tracks, 24 bit, 44.1/48 kHz with Pro Tools|HD systems on Power Mac G5 models.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
Yea, I'm only using internal hard drives. All 7200 RPM SATA internal drives @ far less than 50% capacity. I have 4 internal, one for the system/pro tools app, one for recording to, one for streaming samples. Should be far sufficient.
60-80 tracks off one drive?

I would point my finger at that being the problem. While you may get more than what we qualify, anything over 40 or so tracks starts to get into that questionable area where, truly, the drive just can't keep up.

Try splitting the tracks between a couple drives and see if that helps.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
60-80 tracks off one drive?

I would point my finger at that being the problem. While you may get more than what we qualify, anything over 40 or so tracks starts to get into that questionable area where, truly, the drive just can't keep up.

Try splitting the tracks between a couple drives and see if that helps.
Can I run full sessions off a Firewire 800 drive? 60-70 Tracks?

If I'm going to continue to use the internal drives how can I separate the tracks to 2 drives instead of 1?

Thanks