Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Can Firewire 410 stand alone as a preamp? Sleep?

I guess my header says it all. Can I use the firewire 410 as a stand alone preamp, with the optional power supply? People are saying nice things about its audio qualities. If I could use it as a preamp with other recording devices that I use, then I'll make the jump. Do its drivers require you to disable Sleep in OS 10.4 like the Delta drivers do? I don't mind disabling it during a session with PT, but I do value my sleep. Keith
Mac tower, 1 ghz, 640 Meg memory, PT m-powered.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Can Firewire 410 stand alone as a preamp? Sleep?

I´ve got one but I don´t know for sure. I doubt it´s running without the FW connection to the software control panel. Why do you wanna do it anyway ? The pres are really nothing, the ok things you´ve heard, must be about the decent converters - even 2 ART Tube MP´s will do a better job as pre´s - at much less cost (they suck too, though).

Guess you need a JoeMeek3Q or something like that to really get something better.
Serious bang for buck though, would be a RNLA : http://www.fmraudio.com/RNLA7239.htm

Sorry for imposing you new stuff
Old 02-08-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: Can Firewire 410 stand alone as a preamp? Sleep?

Many thanks. Excellent answer. I kinda suspected what you confirmed. I'm looking at replacing my Delta PCI 2496 with one of the firewire models, (if the firewire models prove to have less troublesome drivers than the Deltas, at least in my setup) and one consideration is how good the preamps are. If they're not that good, I'll just get the firewire audiophile or 2496, or whatever it's called) I really appreciate the link to the good compressor website. I've heard great things about them. Thanks, Keith