Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2010, 12:00 PM

Default Turn off dither on export selected?

My workflow is such that I record the raw, unlimited, undithered 24 bit mix to a stereo audio track. I then use Ozone4 (audiosuite) to limit and dither a duplicate of the mix. I then export the new region as a 16 bit file for a client reference, while retaining the raw file on a separate playlist.

It is my understanding that when exporting a selected region as a 16 bit wav file (in a 24 bit session), PT automatically applies dither to the new file, effectively "double dithering".

Is it possible to turn off this function, to allow the user to decide when and how dithering is applied?

Thanks!

-Z-
Old 07-09-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Turn off dither on export selected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakco View Post
It is my understanding that when exporting a selected region as a 16 bit wav file (in a 24 bit session), PT automatically applies dither to the new file, effectively "double dithering".

-Z-
Pro Tools does not dither on bounce to lower resolutions - the user must control dithering (as you've been doing). Your workflow is fine.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Rich,
He's doing a RTD in a 24 bit session. He then wants to dither in that session and export as 16bit. The only way to not have PT do the dither on "export" is to bounce. AFAIK, you can't turn it off in the Export Regions As Files.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
Rich,
He's doing a RTD in a 24 bit session. He then wants to dither in that session and export as 16bit. The only way to not have PT do the dither on "export" is to bounce. AFAIK, you can't turn it off in the Export Regions As Files.

Hi Drew - Oh, yea, you're right - I read that as a BTD... I also know of no way to do this - he'll have to truncate elsewhere or do it as a BTD - kind of silly when you think about it - really seems like convert on BTD and export should at least behave the same, not to mention give you control over dithering versus truncating...

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys,

That was indeed my understanding too. A bit of an oversight from digi...

I guess I just keep exporting at 24 bit and truncating with Audiofinder.

-Z-
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 AM

Could you not simply go to the Audio Files folder and pluck out the newly created files without having to export from within PT, or am I missing something? I realize they would be split stereo, but is that a deal breaker?

@FoxMtnStudio
Old 07-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Sure, but they are still 24 bot files at this point.

He's already doing that, sort of, by exporting as 24bit then truncating with another app.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:00 AM

Interesting. I have more questions then. Why turn on dither inside the Ozone plugin when processing a 24bit file that (in this scenario) stays 24bit after the audiosuite process? We're not changing bit depth during the process, the processed RTD mix remains a 24bit file, right? I realize most good double-precision plugins use dither to get back to 24, but that's an entirely different topic. The dither option inside of Ozone is designed for use in creating lower bit depth files, yes?

And secondly, from a practical standpoint, why not use the built-in PT export file dither if the intended purpose is a client reference? Surely it's good enough for a ref, no?

@FoxMtnStudio
Old 07-11-2010, 10:07 AM

I wouldn't get too het up about it (especially as it's just for client referance, rather than being the master) as the dither that gets applied automatically by Pro Tools, when exporting to a lower bit depth, does not have noise shaping applied.

Double dithering is really only a problem when you run through several passes of noise shaped dither, as the emphasis can become audible as hiss.

The only sure fire way to avoid having Pro Tools apply dither, is to "Bounce To Disk" the file you have already dithered to 16bit in Ozone.

If you don't apply a dither plugin on your master fader, Pro Tools will simply truncate your bounced 24bit file to the destination bit depth you have chosen, in this case 16bit.

This is completely safe, as you have already reduced the dynamic range to 16bit with Ozone, even though it is still recorded in a 24bit file - the remaining bits are redundant.

I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head, but it may be possible to just create a new 16bit session, and then import the 24bit (though 16bit dithered in Ozone) file without dither being applied - but I have a funny feeling it does get automatically applied when the file is converted, you'd have to look that up in the manual.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post

And secondly, from a practical standpoint, why not use the built-in PT export file dither if the intended purpose is a client reference? Surely it's good enough for a ref, no?
True enough, but often if the ref gets approved (not a full album going to mastering house) , the client just goes with the copy they're got. Also, I've started using PT for in-house mastering and in that situation, I'd really rather use the mbit dither I paid for in Ozone...