Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-21-2017, 06:27 AM

Default PT 12.8.2 Really Slow on El Capitan

Hello guys, Just upgraded from PT 11 and Mavericks to Pro Tools 12 and El Capitan and, oh boy, it is a mess for me....

Anyone else experiencing a lot o GUI lag? I can't resize, drag, select, open windows, automate etc without a considerable amount of lag. Everything takes a while to happen. On top of that, my mac mini is overheating for no reason in the middle of the work. Cooler goes very high with a very light session. Never had this issue on Pro Tools 11 before.

This is coming from a formatted SSD. I just installed clean El Capitan with PT 12, my NI collection and Isotope plug-ins. But the issue happens regardless plug-ins. It is more about the quantity of tracks on the session.
Anyone with same issue?
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:28 AM

Default Re: PT 12.8.2 Really Slow on El Capitan

Upgrade your OS to the latest version of Sierra (not High Sierra), most of the time GUI problems will go away...

El Cap is known for GUI delays... PT 12.8.2 also has GUI delays in some configurations, even with Sierra.

In most configurations, 12.8.1 works well on Sierra... so the best combo to eliminate GUI lags wld be OS 10.12.6 and PT 12.8.1.

HTH
YMMV
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Yeah El Cap is the worst version of OSX for a long time so as said above goto Sierra and you should be ok. Don't go PT 12.8.2 though as that has lagging graphics aswell so if you are on a plan and can go 12.8.1, that should work fine.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeayres View Post
Anyone with same issue?
Many:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394454

As mentioned, 12.8.2 is the issue. Stick to 12.8.1 and your odds of the lag disappearing are very good.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 AM

thanks for the reply guys. Downgraded to 12.8.1 and update to Sierra.
Definitely solved the lag GUI issue!
But it didn't solve the overheating issue. I've offloaded the video, and solo one piano track in kontakt and the temperature still going trough the roof! Cooler high as crazy, all CPU cores above 100C. for almost no reason besides Kontakt.

Pro Tools 12.8.1
Mac Mini late 2012
Core I7 Quad Core 2.3Ghz
16Gb DDR3
El Capitan 10.12.6
Old 11-24-2017, 01:26 AM

Hello guys, just to give some feedback from AVID. Been talking to support and besides the common issue of slow GUI (that is solved with your guys suggestion to downgrade to 12.8.1 and update to sierra), it all comes down to performance. AVID state that even if my Mac mini late 2012 is officially supported it is not an optimized computer for PT 12. The minimum requirement for it is 16Gb RAM (which is what I have), quite a jump from the 4Gb requirement from PT 11.

So I don't have the lag issue anymore, but I do have a lot of performance issues, CPU dropouts, overheating CPU, in general a very bad performance specially with Kontakt. I'm in the "past" now with this computer, regarding Pro Tools updates which is not a very nice feeling.

Trying to talk about a refund now because if I'm not gonna use it for music anymore, I might as well get back to Pro Tools 11.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-24-2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipeayres View Post
Hello guys, just to give some feedback from AVID. Been talking to support and besides the common issue of slow GUI (that is solved with your guys suggestion to downgrade to 12.8.1 and update to sierra), it all comes down to performance. AVID state that even if my Mac mini late 2012 is officially supported it is not an optimized computer for PT 12. The minimum requirement for it is 16Gb RAM (which is what I have), quite a jump from the 4Gb requirement from PT 11.

So I don't have the lag issue anymore, but I do have a lot of performance issues, CPU dropouts, overheating CPU, in general a very bad performance specially with Kontakt. I'm in the "past" now with this computer, regarding Pro Tools updates which is not a very nice feeling.

Trying to talk about a refund now because if I'm not gonna use it for music anymore, I might as well get back to Pro Tools 11.

Thanks guys!
Older Mini's (I have a mid 2010 for internet & Photoshop use) tended to get hot after a while but never to the point of slowing or shutting down. And that's with a 5400 rpm spinner so yours with an ssd should not be a problem. Have a question - did your Mini come with that ssd or did someone put it in after initial purchase? It's easy to miss getting the fan connector connected right. Second question - getting plenty of air around the Mini? Remember that they breathe in through that cover on the bottom; I have mine set up on an old piece of metal finned heatsink that's not quite 2 inches thick. That just props the computer up but doesn't actually conduct heat - it was a convenient piece I had paying around from an old project.

QAPLA!