Hi everybody,

I've:

- Lenovo Thinkpad P50
- Xeon CPU
- 16GB Ram DDR4
- 500GB SSL HD for the system
- 2TB Hybrid HD for datas
- Win 7 pro 64bit

I've Pro Tools 12HD. I do a lot of Midi Programming & have a lot of Native Instrument-Plugins (sound generators like Kontakt 5 & FX) in my tracks. So it often happens that I don't have enough "Power" for more Native Plugins or more tracks. If I would go up to 48GB Ram, would it be possible to have more Native Plugins/Tracks? Cause I think CPU should be quite fast.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 AM

Default Re: More Ram="More" Tracks?

No it's not a memory issue....

"Xeon CPU" tells us little useful information. What exact CPU?

---

Things that would help...

Change you workflow and freeze, commit or print VI tracks.

Optimize your computer.

Run at a larger playback buffer size.

Use more efficient VIs.

Troubleshoot for common issues.

Upgrade your CPU.

(And I'd not be using any hybrid drives for anything on a DAW.).
Old 11-25-2017, 03:14 AM

That Hybrid drive will definitely slow down your whole setup so as Darryl said, no Hybrid Drives, no fusion drives, no Green/Blue power saving drives in audio so I would get rid of the Fusion drive and see if your situation changes.

I mean we run a LOT of NI VI on a new MBP w/16GB Ram but we also have the bigger trashcans maxed out and they aren't running that different so you don't need more ram, You need the right settings, the right parts inside and outside your computer and make sure you find a workflow that works with what you do have.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-25-2017, 05:44 AM

I made a different experience: before I had the hybrid drive for my data, I had all on my SSD drive (not only the OS & Programms). It was exactly the same situation.

But what's about the following setup: I have kontakt instruments on different Tracks that totally have for ex. 20GB of samples. That's more than my Ram.

Shouldn't all instruments be loaded into the Ram before playing?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:06 AM

Default More Ram="More" Tracks?

No.

But that raises questions of how well you have NI set up/optimized on your system.

And the reason you are not saying exactly what CPU model and clock speed is? Or even better post a Sisoft Sandra report...

You only have a Thinkpad, so I am guessing that “Xeon” is just a quad core E3, and that is not particularly powerful, it’s a quad core which many of us consider the minimum recommendation for a Pro Tools system. The “Xeon” brand here offers you no practical benefit over a Core brand laptop CPU. And a laptop with a quad core CPU is just the wrong platform if you want to run a huge number of active VIs. You need a larger system, with more CPU cores, higher clock rate, and a lot more capacity to cool the CPU.

The reason you are not seeing any difference in performance caused by changing disk setup is that is not yet your bottleneck, using a hybrid drive is in general still not a good idea.

Workflow is the thing to focus on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 09:57 AM

I've an Intel Xeon E3-1535Mv5
Old 11-25-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipto View Post
I've an Intel Xeon E3-1535Mv5

So really the same silicon as a Skylake Mobile Core i7, and just 4 cores. This is *not* a system to expect to run a very large number of VIs on. You are running out of CPU very likely because you are.... running out of CPU. A laptop means you won’t have CPU upgrade options.

Have we mentioned workflow yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 04:00 PM

Very interesting thread folks!
Old 11-26-2017, 01:47 AM

Hi tipto.

As has been pointed out, your system is probably not powerful enough to run very many live VI's. But you can still use it effectively by making use of the advice given:

1. Make sure your system is fully optimised
2. Use a separate (preferrably SSD) drive for your PT sessions.
3. Make full use of 'Freeze'; you can always unfreeze to tweak unfinished instrument tracks, then re-freeze. Commit or bounce when you are happy with your work. Personally, I'll usually commit only when I'm sure there are no more upcoming tweaks.

With the above, you can stretch your resources quite far. Some time ago when I had problems with my main computer, I had to make do with a Core 2 quad (8GB RAM). I pulled it off by hosting VST versions of most of my VI's in VE Pro and committing/bouncing as I went along. It's extremely efficient CPU and RAM-wise, and will take most of the load off PT's shoulders, even without using a second computer. In fact, I was so impressed that I still do this today with a more powerful computer. But even without VE Pro, the above suggestions can still take you a long way.