Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-03-2004, 04:26 PM

Default how do i copy plugins from one session to another?

i did a search to find an answer and had no luck.

i have 13 songs and i have the 1st song all eq'd and set up the way i want it and now i want to copy all of the plugins and their settings into all of the other sessions to keep the same sound throughout the recording. how do i do this?
Old 04-03-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Re: how do i copy plugins from one session to another?

Technically you cant . You can save your plug-in settings and reinsert them with the same settings in the same place - you'll need good bookkeeping or screenshots. The other way is to SAve Session Copy and give it a name like Plugin Template. Open the copy and delete all the regions ( NOT THE AUDIO FILES) and fades and midi files and you now have an empty session. Next you import your files in track by track. PITA either way.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 04-03-2004, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Open the copy and delete all the regions ( NOT THE AUDIO FILES) and fades and midi files and you now have an empty session. Next you import your files in track by track. PITA either way.
actually u mean Remove the regions from the session
Old 04-03-2004, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Technically you cant . You can save your plug-in settings and reinsert them with the same settings in the same place - you'll need good bookkeeping or screenshots. The other way is to SAve Session Copy and give it a name like Plugin Template. Open the copy and delete all the regions ( NOT THE AUDIO FILES) and fades and midi files and you now have an empty session. Next you import your files in track by track. PITA either way.
i understand what you are saying but im not shure how to actually do it. can you give a more detailed description on how to perform this procedure?(your reply will be printed out and i will be reading it as i try and follow your directions) i am quite new to pro tools. i cant believe that a "copy all plugins" option dosent exist!
Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 PM

1. Take your Song that you Mixed and want to use the same settings
2. Save File As - (I like to call mine Mix Template)
3. Open the File (it will already be loaded right after you do the save as)
4. Select all Regions from the List on the Right of the Edit Window
5. Choose Remove Regions
6. Choose Remove and make sure you dont choose delete. (this will just remove all the regions from the session. they will stay in the file that is the first mix you did.
7. Delete all Automation if Any.
8. Save Session
9. Open Session you want to apply these plugins too.
10. File - Import Session Data - Choose "Mix Template"
11. Then Choose all the tracks that you want to import.(this will bring the empty tracks with plugins and fader settings into the session.
12. Now you can do 1 of 2 things. You can either take the Audio Regions from the Origional Tracks and drag them onto the Imported Tracks of Mix Template. (Be Sure not to move the Tracks foward or ahead in time. bring them straight down.) or you can drag the plugins off the Mix Template tracks
and onto the corresponding tracks in the session your working on. but then you will have to set all your panning and fader settings, instead of it already being done.
13. after you done with one of the 2 ways in step 12. then delete all the unused tracks
14. Make any Tweaks that you may need.
15. Bounce your song
16. Do it to the rest of your songs
17. Burn CD
18. Get Paid
Old 04-04-2004, 09:01 AM

What LK said above is exactly what I've been doing for the last week. After getting my EQs, effects, pans and basic levels exactly like I wanted them for the first set of music I recorded live with my band, I wanted to use the exact same settings for all the audio from the next three sets.

Same deal. After saving it as itself, I "saved as" a "Mix Template." The then deleted all the regions of audio (but not the audio files!!!) from Mix Template and saved it again.

I then reopened it, imported the audio from the next set, dragged each region that I'd imported to its corresponding track (in the edit window), then deleted the (now empty) tracks that came with the import. Then saved as "Set 2" etc.

Note--this is the one place so far where I felt a little burned by PTLE. If you look in the manual, you can see that TDM users have the ability to do an "import session data" that's greatly enhanced over ours. They can choose to just import the session data that includes exactly what we're talking about--plugins, pan, levels, etc. over existing audio regions.

Basically, it's the one-step version of what luzer_kidd described in about 14 of the 18 steps. Oh well, you gets what you pays for.
ADA-8000
Old 04-05-2004, 02:29 AM

i feel burnt also by not having that feature included with le. oh well. thanks for the details on this and thanks luzer kid for the play-by-play. it will help me big time. now im gonna go print this and give it a shot.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:51 AM

I just save the plugin setting and then import the the setting on the plugin in the next session.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:40 AM

Y don't you just create a matching Aux track in the session you want the plug-ins from (ex. mono aux to match mono snare track), drag the plugs from the snare track to the aux track, delete everything except the aux track with the plugs you want, remove all audio files, save session as (ex. "snare plugs", maybe in a "plugin template folder" somewhere), close session.

Open the session you want the plugins copied to, import session data (under File), import the aux trk from "snare plugs" session, drag the plugs to the snare track, delete the aux trk.

I find this quicker and less chance of accidentally copying or deleting audio files.

$.02

I don't know, what d'you think?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Y don't you just create a matching Aux track in the session you want the plug-ins from (ex. mono aux to match mono snare track), drag the plugs from the snare track to the aux track, delete everything except the aux track with the plugs you want, remove all audio files, save session as (ex. "snare plugs", maybe in a "plugin template folder" somewhere), close session.

Open the session you want the plugins copied to, import session data (under File), import the aux trk from "snare plugs" session, drag the plugs to the snare track, delete the aux trk.

I find this quicker and less chance of accidentally copying or deleting audio files.

$.02

but then u still have to do set all your faders and pans again
they way i described your levels and pans are all ready set
also all your aux tracks will be already set up