Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-14-2009, 12:39 PM

Default Digi 003 console, comand 8 or digi 003 rack plus

Looking to upgrade before end of December and stuck in a rut wat to get. i thought of the rack plus for the 8 mic preamps to record on location but would like to be more hands on at the mix stage rather thatn using a mouse.

I'm using a MacBook with Protools 8 and logic9 studio. I have used both digi 003 rack and console but undecided.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Digi 003 console, comand 8 or digi 003 rack plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabyd23 View Post
Looking to upgrade before end of December and stuck in a rut wat to get. i thought of the rack plus for the 8 mic preamps to record on location but would like to be more hands on at the mix stage rather thatn using a mouse.

I'm using a MacBook with Protools 8 and logic9 studio. I have used both digi 003 rack and console but undecided.

Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks
Hands on, and hands down the console! i love it, next step would be the c/24, way to much money, the rack with 8 pres you are stuck with those 8pres and can't be bypassed unless you route digital.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:56 PM

003 Console, no question, not even close. Command 8 is better than all non-digi units, but for LE, 003 Console smokes it.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM

003 console, hands down, or up, or whatever.
Non-digi control surfaces always miss something. Digi control surface= best integration, best stability, best usabiltiy.

ps. I realized that it sound like a cheese commercial, but it's still true.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Hands on, and hands down the console! i love it, next step would be the c/24, way to much money, the rack with 8 pres you are stuck with those 8pres and can't be bypassed unless you route digital.
Ummm.... the 003R also has LINE inputs... so you can use external preamps, bypassing the mic pre's. Takes up less space, you can use an external mixer (big plus) and get the same functionality for the most part.
Buy the 003R... and a Faderport... with the money you save you can buy one really nice preamp or two medium grade preamps or compressors.

Just my opinion. Your results may vary.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darney View Post
Ummm.... the 003R also has LINE inputs... so you can use external preamps, bypassing the mic pre's. Takes up less space, you can use an external mixer (big plus) and get the same functionality for the most part.
Buy the 003R... and a Faderport... with the money you save you can buy one really nice preamp or two medium grade preamps or compressors.

Just my opinion. Your results may vary.
He does want hands on, like a console. 8 line inputs, but he can't bypass the converters.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:40 AM

Few thoughts about this.
Digi's pres are not so good, that is a fact, but!
If you use some high quality outboard preamp, and connect it through the digi003 ins, although you cannot bypass the pres, but on line ins, do not even touch the digipres. What you get is still the high quality preamps sound. I have tried this several times. The digi003 do NOT ruin your sound, even not if you use line in 1-4 without any gain.

The converters. Some time ago on gearslutz there was a thread where apogee rosetta and digi003 was compared. There wasn't that big difference between the two, not to mention that it was not clear which is better sonically, so again, this is a very usable situation. The converters in the 003 are not that bad.

Now taken that even apogee stated that rosetta is a tad better than their ensemble and so, digi003 is quite a good price/performance ratio.

Remember the fact, if the sound sucks, it is NOT the digi003's fault.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM

While I've not used the 003 I do have an 002 console. And I love being able to mix without a mouse. I however do not like the cable clutter caused by running all those connections to it (firewire, mic cables, monitors, power cable, outboard mix pres, outboard headphone amp, ect.). Just something to think about. That is the one downside I didn't think about when purchasing it. If I was doing it all over again I'd seriously consider the rack unit and the command 8. I would however get the basic 003, as the 4 mic pres are decent, I'd rather spend the extra $$ on outboard pres for more flavors.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 PM

A few minor issues with the 003 console is it can be kind of big and awkward as far as where to place it in your work area. The command 8 is a little smaller. Also, again because of the size and design, it's a little inconvenient to plug and unplug connections, etc. It seems like the rack can be a little tidier with cables and placement, etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
A few minor issues with the 003 console is it can be kind of big and awkward as far as where to place it in your work area. The command 8 is a little smaller. Also, again because of the size and design, it's a little inconvenient to plug and unplug connections, etc. It seems like the rack can be a little tidier with cables and placement, etc.
Awkward somewhat, but as far as cables, I can't see any cables once everything is plugged in and in place, same with my Imac, it's got the base with the hole in the back to run the cables and you can't tell there's any cables hooked up to it, once you set then forget(LOL) sounds like that TV commercial, But I really like the hands on mixing, I think I would like the command 8 just as much, maybe more with it's small foot print, but I would really like something like Euphonix MC control, those look sweet.