Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM

Default PT 8.03 Update Hell (Eleven Rack)

Made the mistake of updating to 8.03 today for my Eleven Rack, and as per usual it has blossomed into a colossal time and energy sucking vortex:

Cannot open existing sessions without PT crashing on startup....I can create new ones though...

I have trashed DAE/PT prefs multiple times...to no avail...

I do notice when I restart the computer I have a dancing midi folder on the dock, which goes away after I start PT

I have downloaded the 11R update, as well as the latest firmware.....

Any advice greatly appreciated !!

imac 2.4g intel core 2, 2g, os 10.5.8, PTLE 8.03
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT 8.03 Update Hell (Eleven Rack)

Have you verified that all installed plug-ins are compatible, or done any of the other steps from the General Troubleshooting thread, such as testing from a new admin account?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcovemusic View Post
as per usual it has blossomed into a colossal time and energy sucking vortex
I hate it when that happens...

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcovemusic View Post
Made the mistake of updating to 8.03 today for my Eleven Rack, and as per usual it has blossomed into a colossal time and energy sucking vortex:

Cannot open existing sessions without PT crashing on startup....I can create new ones though...

I have trashed DAE/PT prefs multiple times...to no avail...

I do notice when I restart the computer I have a dancing midi folder on the dock, which goes away after I start PT

I have downloaded the 11R update, as well as the latest firmware.....

Any advice greatly appreciated !!

imac 2.4g intel core 2, 2g, os 10.5.8, PTLE 8.03
I initially upgraded to Snow Leopard, and then to 8.0.3, and experienced some wicked instability.

I went back to my Leopard 8.0.1 build, and then upgraded to 8.0.3 first, and then went to Snow Leopard. Now it runs pretty well. I may be crazy, but it seems like CPU usage is lower, and I don't need to run with one fewer RTAS cores selected for VI's, like before.

BUT... I did go through all my third party plugs and check that they were the latest version, and removed a few freebies that were questionable. Seemed to really do the trick. I also did all the appropriate troubleshooting steps as described above by Digi.

I'm using an 11R, and things have are pretty solid now on 10.6 8.0.3. I did see some Eleven Rack window corruption that was solved by clicking on the amp in the GUI. I'm thinking the little update takes care of that stuff, and probably removes the 11R plugins from non-11R owners? Just my guesses here.

Good luck, don't give up!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Well I bailed, did an uninstall and went back to 8.01

Of course I can't locate my Creative Collection instruments now (the installer freezes at the end)

Can't remember how I fixed this the last time....

You'd think that I'd have learned over the last 10 years that when something is working with Pro Tools don't F$%# widdit !!