Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-31-2013, 05:42 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
you would never ask a Icon user to take a C24 as an exchange and expect them to give you their Icon plus $6k as a fair trade!!
In my opinion, a C24 is not an upgrade from a Control 24 either. I wouldn't trade my Control 24 even for one.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
To my knowledge, we are one of the only manufacturers of technology hardware that offers its customers an upgrade path to newer hardware. We currently offer Control|24 owners the opportunity to move up to C|24 for $6,399 retail—a $3,600 discount off the retail price. We will honor this same upgrade opportunity and pricing to our ProControl customers.

Thank you for your support and understanding.
Tom & Avid Pro Audio Team
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwiz View Post
Pro Control to C|24 is not an upgrade to me. Not as well made, no channel matrix and a bunch of mic pres I would never use. Besides my Pro Control is working perfectly so why junk it? I'll stay on PT10 and not bother with the co-install, waste of money. The crappy part is falling behind the upgrade path so it's a no win. A fine mess, Ollie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtarbutn View Post
In my opinion, a C24 is not an upgrade from a Control 24 either. I wouldn't trade my Control 24 even for one.
This is the thing that really sticks it to me. They kill off two excellent products and insult their user base by offering an expensive "upgrade" to something arguably inferior. This really is pathetic.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
We currently offer Control|24 owners the opportunity to move up to C|24 for $6,399 retail—a $3,600 discount off the retail price.
And for less than the discount noted above, you'll soon be able to buy the Slate MTi...

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2013/...ate-raven-mti/

...A forward looking controller that is not locked into one DAW. Goodbye Avid controllers, goodbye...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM

I just came across a DAW for iOS called Auria. Now, honestly, if Wavemachine can create a DAW with all the features it has (including track freeze, delay compensation, etc.) for the iPad, then you know Avid could write a freaking driver.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM

But they don't want to and they would rather make us mad and walk away than do the right thing.

They can do the 003 but for us ....no way
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32 PM

Perhaps the original 32 bit DLLs for these controllers can be used...

It seems that by default 32bit COM objects are not usable in a 64bit environment. Trying to access a 32bit COM in a 64bit environment will result in a class not registered error. However this can be countered using dllhost as a surrogate for the 32bit COM object.
Many of the COM problems that people think originate from the bit-depth of the system it was compiled on, turn out to actually be due to the way the COM object was registered

A 64-bit process can access a 32-bit DLL across a process boundary if the 32-bit DLL is loaded into a separate 32-bit surrogate process space, and the application makes use of the built-in IPC (inter process communication)mechanisms that support data exchange between 32-bit and 64-bit processes.

This would come down to some registry hacks?

Anyone who understands this stuff care to comment?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:57 PM

It seems like, in theory, this might could work. It would probably be worth a couple of days of some programmer's time.

The major "gotcha" I can see would be the amount of data coming from the controller. Can the "wrapper" handle that level of traffic? And would there be a problem because of the amount of hardware access?

But...like I said, it would be worth trying...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
As I already mentioned in post 211 of this thread I was a Pro Tools support engineer for a Belgian Digidesign dealer for many years. I also attended a lot of Digidesign dealer meetings and had very good contacts with the Digidesign rep's. In 2005, one year before the launch of the ICON D-Command and D-Control I heard sales figures about ProControl Main units in Belgium and The Netherlands: more then 100 ProControl Main Units were sold. This number is for 2 small countries with a total of 25 million inhabitants. This is an average of 1 ProControl for every 250.000 or 4 ProControls for every million of inhabitants.

Let's extrapolate this:

Europe has 739 million inhabitants = 739 x 4 = 2956 ProControls
The USA has 313 million inhabitants = 313 x 4 = 1252 ProControls

This makes a total of 4208 ProControls

Then we have the rest of the world (still 5 billion people left, including Australia, Asia, China, Russia, South-America, Afrika): let's presume Digidesign sold half of that figure, or 2104 ProControls

So we end up with an estimate of 4208 + 2104 = 6312 ProControls sold

About Control24: I do know that back in the Digidesign days we sold 5 Control24's to 1 ProControl. so you could extrapolate there are 5 times more Control24's out there then ProControls, thus 6312 ProControls x 5 = 31.560 Control24's sold worldwide.

About serial numbers: let's see if the serial numbers of my ProControl Main units and Fader packs could confirm my estimates:

My ProControl Main units:

KH0060200C
NX0371300L (spare unit for parts only)

We do not know what the KH and NX stands for, but if you strip KH, NX. 00C and 00L we see 602 and 3713. Add these together and you get 4315 ProControls. Not far off my estimate of 4208 ProControls for Europe + USA, because both units were sold in Europe.

My ProControl Fader Packs:

KJ0027400E
KJ0124300E
KJ0186200E
KJ0191800E
KJ0278100E
KJ0319800E (spare unit for parts only)

They all start with the same KJ00 and end with 00E, so we can strip that, but we may not add the numbers because it is clearly an uprising numerical order. The lowest number is 274 and the highest 3198, so I think we may conclude a minimum of 3198 Fader packs were build and probably sold. But I have seen much more studio's with only a ProControl Main Unit then studio's with additional ProControl Fader packs. So maybe my estimate of 6312 ProControls sold isn't such a crazy idea after all...

Anyway, the estimate of 4.000 working units today is much too low, that's for sure. For the time being I stick with 6312 ProControls, minimum 3198 ProControl Fader packs and 31.560 Control24's sold. Probably half of them are still in use so we get 3156 ProControls + 15780 Control24's = 18936 working units today. Multiplied by $500 = $9.46 million in just driver money. Let's make that $10 million in easy money to gain by Avid just by updating 2 personality files so they become compatible with PT 11, who decided this is not a good idea??

Maybe other DUC members can chime in and post their serial numbers, so maybe we can get more accurate numbers, but I feel pretty confident my numbers are not that far off from reality
best post by a long way.

add the sales of Pro Tools 11. add the sales of new plugins. add the sales of new hardware.

does anyone in avid accounting have a calculator?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlfader View Post
does anyone in avid accounting have a calculator?
Yes but it was EOL last year
Old 09-04-2013, 08:52 AM

This whole thing is B.S. We have been asking for these drivers for months. I was looking so forward to the release of PT 11 and even though I would need to buy a new computer to meet the compatibility, I was ready to do it. I was excited about the features of 11 and downloaded the demo (btw, it ran on Lion). I liked what I saw even with the lack of plugins (I knew they would come). But this whole debacle has left a bad taste in my mouth. We shouldn't have to pay for a driver as some have said. My Control 24 still works perfectly. Avid have intentionally crippled PT 11 just like they crippled LE by leaving features out. The only difference is, we could buy those "extra" features and we can't even buy a driver for our controllers. Avid is still playing catch-up in many areas. There are companies out there showing much more innovation these days.