Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 11-15-2014, 03:21 AM

Default Replace clip in 11HD is greyed out

Hi
I have to conform a trailer edit that was done by the director in premier (exported as OMF) using stereo stems - DX, FX, MX of the full film into a surround edit using the surround stems from the full film. Both the stereo and surround stems are the same length, .wav, 24bit etc.

I have PT11.1.3HD but using 3rd party hardware. When I right click on any clip in the clip list, replace clip is greyed out. All except the video file.

To get around the possible 2ch to 6ch incompatability I duplicated the stereo track of each stereo stem 3 times then dragged all 3 tracks into a 5.1 track. I then tried to cntrl+drag the surround stem from the clip list over one of the new pseudo surround (from stereo) clips but the replace clip dialog box wont come up either.

Is this possible. Is there a better method? I have and OMF and an EDL of the trailer edit, I delivered all the original final audio.

Im in windows 8.1 pro 64bit
Old 11-15-2014, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Replace clip in 11HD is greyed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
Hi
I then tried to cntrl+drag the surround stem from the clip list over one of the new pseudo surround (from stereo) clips
When you select the stereo clip in the edit window and Start-drag the surround clip from the clip list to a 5.1 audio track, it should work (place the surround clip at the same start time as the stereo clip).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcslaam View Post
To get around the possible 2ch to 6ch incompatability I duplicated the stereo track of each stereo stem 3 times then dragged all 3 tracks into a 5.1 track. I then tried to cntrl+drag the surround stem from the clip list over one of the new pseudo surround (from stereo) clips but the replace clip dialog box wont come up either.
This laborious workaround can work, if you consolidate the fake 5.1 audio track first. Replace clip will be possible.

Another way : split the stereo track into mono, designate one mono track as field recorder guide track and then expand matching alternatives to new tracks. Followed by dragging the surround mono files to a new 5.1 audio track.

It is only about aligning three 5.1 clips to the same start time of a single stereo stem ? Not so difficult : create three 5.1 audio tracks, select the stereo stem, start-drag the surround clips to their tracks.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060

Last edited by joachim; 11-16-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 PM

Thanks for your reply joachim.

I tried your method but all that happens is the full length 5.1 file is loaded on to the 5.1 track unedited, at the same start time as the stereo file. No replace clip dialog came up and it is not cut to the edit that the stereo stems have been.

You might be thinking I was just taking the left and right from the 5.1 file as the stereo L and R but thats not the case, I have a separately bounced/folded stereo mix for each stem that the director used in the trailer cut since he cant deal with surround files. Thus the use as feild guide track method didnt work either.

BTW thanks for correcting it to start-drag instead of cntrl-drag. I read on a wiki it was cntl-drag which was obviously wrong.

Any other suggestions? In reaper you can just replace the source audio for all instances.

Why is "replace clip" greyed out in the clip list. What conditions must be met for it to be available?
Old 02-14-2018, 06:58 AM

I am currently having this same problem. I thought maybe it was because my session was created from an OMF, and all the audio files have an OMF extension, and maybe there was a conflict there. So I did a 'Save Copy In' and chose to 'convert audio files to specified format', but that didn't help either. Did you ever figure it out?