Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 04-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Default V3.6 - Saving Full Surface State in Sessions ?

Hello,

I just updated to V3.6 and I'll be darned if I can get:

o Saving Full Surface State in Sessions – Console comes back the way you left it

to work?? It certainly isn't doing it per se, and I can't find a setting for it or instructions for how to get it going in the doc's? Am I just missing something?

Thanks,
Russ
Old 04-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Avid

Default Re: V3.6 - Saving Full Surface State in Sessions ?

Do you have the little blue star next to the DAW name in either the Workstation screen or the Workstation Softkeys ? If so then also make sure you have the relevant systems prefs checked. Everything is saved out and you have the option of what to recall on session load 9via those prefs)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Do you have the little blue star next to the DAW name in either the Workstation screen or the Workstation Softkeys ? If so then also make sure you have the relevant systems prefs checked. Everything is saved out and you have the option of what to recall on session load 9via those prefs)
Hi Eddie,

Can't believe you bothered with my stupid question on your Sunday evening - very much appreciated !!!!

Yes, I've got the blue star next to both and all the options selected in "Auto-Load from Titles and Sessions". When I reload a session, I'm always banked far left no matter where I left it or whether I had a layout in place when I last had it up (and the layout is off if I did), the MM always shows whatever screen the S6 was on in its previous session (and if that was the "Home" screen it's blank no matter how I left it in the session), the process buttons are all reset to "Sends" no matter how I left them, and so forth. It seems exactly the same as the previous version. I'm obviously doing something dumb...
Old 04-23-2017, 09:52 PM
Avid

No...not dumb, just a little too literally ;-) only the things with check boxes in the system prefs are saved and recalled. If you had a layout on the surface it should switch the console to layouts and recall which ever one it was though.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:57 AM

Quote:
No...not dumb, just a little too literally ;-) only the things with check boxes in the system prefs are saved and recalled. If you had a layout on the surface it should switch the console to layouts and recall which ever one it was though.
Yeah, I guess I might have read too much into, "Saving Full Surface State in Sessions – Console comes back the way you left it" but in addition to the layout not being preserved, the preferences list banking which I'm also not seeing preserved and and something called "Layout State" which I thought might have meant the "Surface State" - things like process selections and so forth - that are also not being preserved. I've got all 8 choices selected. I can't actually see anything that's different at all from the previous versions. Is it possible there's something else somewhere I need to select (or unselect)?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:58 AM
Avid

Somethings not right then. before the console would only come back in banking mode, now it will remember if you were in Layout Mode and what layout you had up at the time. It will remember Spill zone state and locked Strips.

A quick test is to recall a Layout, then save your session. Switch to Banking and now load the session. the console should recall that layout.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Somethings not right then. before the console would only come back in banking mode, now it will remember if you were in Layout Mode and what layout you had up at the time. It will remember Spill zone state and locked Strips.

A quick test is to recall a Layout, then save your session. Switch to Banking and now load the session. the console should recall that layout.
Ok, well it DID do that this time. I know I tried basically the same thing before I wrote this post and it didn't work but I must have not actually saved it. But it doesn't save the banking state (where I have the S6 banked when I save) but perhaps you're saying that's not what the banking state preference means? Just WHETHER it's banked or in a layout? If so, you were right to begin with, I'm just taking this too literally?

For what it's worth, it really would be nice if the board really did come back as it was left. Maybe that could be added to the wish list (along with activating the last part of the board that still doesn't work in Pro Tools - at all - which is the ASSIGNABLE function!)

Thanks again for your help Eddie!
Old 06-07-2023, 05:34 PM

Going to resurrect this thread, since it's the one that came up in a search.

Is there a way to get the S6 to keep the current active spill zone active when re-opening a session? Currently, if I have, for example, the R SPILL active with VCAs and then I close the session and re-open, the S6 will default back to the DADman "tracks". I then have to go and re-select the R SPILL and then TYPE>VCAs.

I do have a blue star next to PT and I do have auto-load from titles and sessions all checked.

Eucon 2022.12, PT 2022.7.
IMDB
LinkedIn
Old 06-08-2023, 05:31 AM
Avid

Yes, indeed. Settings > System > Auto-Load > Spill Zone State

However, from your description of "DADman tracks" it almost sounds like you have a Layout being recalled from your session/template which would take precedence. Is this the case?

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-08-2023, 09:31 AM

The DADman tracks have been going on since day 1 of install. I've never setup any kind of layout that would recall DADman. So, not sure how that got into the setup.

As far as SPILL ZONE STATE option, that's always been enabled.
IMDB
LinkedIn