Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM

Default KORG Gadget for Mac - with AAX instruments!

Korg has just released the Gadget application for Mac. The very cool thing about this is that the 18 soft instruments for the application also show up as plug-ins in protools. I love the Korg Legacy stuff, so it's great to have some of these sounds as AAX plug-ins. All are very solid and CPU-light. Currently, gadget is on sale for $199 (lists at $299). I doubt I'll use the Gadget app, but the VIs are totally worth it to me.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 PM

Default Re: KORG Gadget for Mac - with AAX instruments!

I've been using Gadget for iPad for a while- it's awesome to compose on the go. The sounds are quality. The midi editing is pretty great too. This will make things so much easier to incorporate into pro tools. The sale price is good until April 30th, its more than I'd like to pay but so be it.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:46 AM

pgripp - do you know if these are equivalent to the Korg Legacy VIs e.g. which instruments from KLC are included + if they are functionally the same, with the same presets, etc.

Either way, this might herald the development of KLC for AAX ... or equally suggest that Korg (who as far as I know have not commented on this topic but continue to sell/bundle KLC) will not now develop KLC any more ... in which case, I suspect many users would appreciate a crossgrade offer (even if patches are lost)? :)
Old 04-17-2017, 01:28 AM

the fact Korg NEGLECTED the Legacy with ZERO updates since 2013 speaks volumes to me how they treat their user base with support. Almost as bad as Roland. So I don't feel great to purchase more plugs from Korg.

I also can't find any videos of it working in PT
Old 04-17-2017, 04:10 AM

7thheaven - I saw WarrenG's confirmation on your other thread that the BlueCat plugins work with KLC and believe I've seen this confirmed before (as well as open source Soundflower in the past, so I guess Rogue Amoeba's Loopback might now be another alternative/workaround).

However, with Korg Gadget for Mac currently priced at $199, one would think that with a little imagination, Korg could sort out this Legacy Collection issue (which surely doesn't help their image/reputation) by either:

(i) Stating that KLC will no longer be updated and offering some sort of crossgrade (I can't imagine that many KLC customers will be buying Gadget without an incentive considering the current situation);

(ii) Simply stating that KLC will no longer be updated, allowing users to make their own choices e.g. spending extra on third-party applications/plugins; or

(iii) Advising that KLC will be updated at some point in time.

I suspect that KLC delivers some value to Korg still as it continues to be bundled with products such as MIDI controller keyboards ... but the lack of compatibility and tiny interfaces on modern displays can't be helping new customers buy in to the Korg brand for VIs?!

Anyone from Korg here? :)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I also can't find any videos of it working in PT
Everything working fine in PT so far for me.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:44 PM

side-note for Korg-the Legacy Edition 64bit works great in Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol plugin.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Looks interesting.

However, from my perspective, there seems a huge price disparity between the iOS and the Mac versions, $19.99 and $199.99 (intro offer) respectively.

What am I gain in the Mac version over the iOS save I can run directly in Pro Tools?

For less than the cost of the Mac version I can buy Logic Pro X so the price seems a little OTT, especially when it goes up to $299.99

Anyhow, for $19.99 I'd happily run on the iPad and record into Pro Tools.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6