Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 05:16 AM

Default Avid Artist series - Then and Now

I used to have an Artist Mix back in the day when they were Euphonix branded and had the silver faceplate.
Eucon was a terrible messat that time, and it was a serious pain to use that thing because half the time I had connection issues. So I sold it after trying to cope with it for way too long.

Right now I'm looking for a controller for my setup at home that's a bit more sophisticated than the Presonus Faderport I use atm, and I'm sifting through the options.
I think the artist series might be the best compromise of size and functionality (unit shouldn't have too big of a footprint), but I'd rather hit myself on the head with a shovel than joining the dance with a totally buggy protocol once again.

So what is the consensus nowadays? Is the Artist series a valid option for people who need to work?
I love the implementation of the C24. haven't had a single issue with that one after all these years. Something similarly painless in a more compact sitze would be awesome.

Thanks!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Avid Artist series - Then and Now

PT|Dock. I still find the Avid-branded Artist Mix and Control frustrating. Dock isn't perfect, but it's excellent and fast.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
PT|Dock. I still find the Avid-branded Artist Mix and Control frustrating. Dock isn't perfect, but it's excellent and fast.
+1 regarding the artist series. We sold all 4 of our units in the midi room as there are soo many small annoyances and niggles aswell as Eucon that still doesn't like the older aging artist series.

I would argue they are good for small footprint and have some useful feaures but (this is my experience) we had too many crashes ans dropouts and hangings to make it a valid option. Tried with Macbook Pro's, nMP
Trashcan, both 4 core and 6 core and older 5.1 Cheesegrater Mac and one i7 iMac we use for the office work. No real joy on any of them but this was on Eucon version 3.0 and 3.3 so maybe things have changed ... doubtful though but miracles do happen so maybe someone who use them now can chime in.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-08-2017, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys.
What I don't like about the dock is, I do not need more touchscreens in my life, especially not for work. Smartphones can be annoying enough at times.

Therefor I'd like to have more than one fader. So I guess Faderport 8? Dunno, seems kind of clunky. Anybody seen one in real life?

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-08-2017, 11:59 AM

I have an old Artist Mix and its performance with the latest firmware and Eucon software is the best I can remember. I hated the fader latency until the past year or so.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM

The Dock really shines if you're a user of advanced automation modes. Plug-in control with Preview, Punch Preview, dedicated side knobs, etc.- very smooth workflow. Also, the wheel is fast and actually useful. To re-attention the single fader, you do have to use the touchscreen, but it's not awful. The Artist Control screen was awful.

As a mixer, I feel hampered in front of a HUI based surface. But the Faderport 8 price is very good.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Running Artist Control and on Eucon 3.6. It works really well here and the latency has definitely improved for the better under the current release. I'm on Win 10 as well.