Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-22-2018, 04:10 PM

Default Melodyne question

First, Celemony's support sucks. Second, does anyone know how change the time grid WITHOUT changing / stretching the actual audio?

I simply want to enter the tempo of the track so the grid changes so I can visually nudge stuff to the grid.

Everything I search relating to tempo to BPM takes me to an tutorial or thread about time-stretching. I just want to change the freakin' grid.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Melodyne question

Melodyne will take the tempo from your session in ProTools so if your session is 100BPM so will Melodyne.

If your session changes tempo then you need to export a tempo map in ProTools first. Then in melodyne import the tempo map by selecting the option to define tempo from tempo map. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 09-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Melodyne question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Melodyne will take the tempo from your session in ProTools so if your session is 100BPM so will Melodyne.

If your session changes tempo then you need to export a tempo map in ProTools first. Then in melodyne import the tempo map by selecting the option to define tempo from tempo map. Hope that helps :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I probably am doing it wrong, but I just open Melodyne Studio (separate application) and import audio from the Audio Files folder of the session. Then after tuning I export and re-import into Pro Tools onto a new playlist. I don't use the single track insert plugin.

All this is to say Melodyne doesn't know anything about my Pro Tools session or tempo.

Can't you just change the tempo (just the UI visual grid) in Melodyne without messing with the time of the audio, or do I need to set the tempo in Melodyne before I import any audio?
Old 09-22-2018, 07:09 PM

Everything Raoul said, with a little more general Melodyne considerations:
1-As said, using Melodyne as an insert should take the tempo from the session(which means if you record live music without a click, you are screwed).

2-If using Melodyne in stand-alone mode, I'm not sure how to handle tempo.

3-which exact versions of Pro Tools and Melodyne are you using(this may affect how this stuff all works, or if some features might be missing on your setup)

4-remember that Melodyne "owns" the audio that has been transferred, so no audio editing can be done outside of Melodyne until the track is committed(printed) and Melodyne removed(if you just bypass Melodyne and make edits, they will be "undone" if Melodyne gets enabled again.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-22-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
2-If using Melodyne in stand-alone mode, I'm not sure how to handle tempo.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm only interested in #2 as I only work in the stand alone application (no Melodyne plugin in Pro Tools).

I am using the very latest -- Pro Tools 2018.7.0 and Melodyne 4.1.1.011 (64 bit).

I think I just have to remember to set the Melodyne tempo to the right tempo before I import any audio.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 AM

Certainly in the plug-in it's simple to play the new tempo map to Melodyne and just be sure "stretch/squeeze audio" is unchecked - then the new tempo map conforms and audio has not moved. In the standalone version I would imagine there's similar functionallity, but I never use it that way so I'm afraid I can't help with that specific workflow.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 09-23-2018, 08:58 AM

Indeed^^^ I would use it as a plugin for all tuning and timing. Use it stand-alone for actually changing tempo or evening out audio that was done "wild"(with no click or grid)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave