Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM

Question Pro Tools Settings for optimum use.

I have PT 10.3.2 on OSX 10.8.2 I have 32G of memory and almost 1 gig free on the drive.

I am finding that as I go through from one song to the next, my meter display in PT is getting slower and slower. More so in songs that I have more tracks in. At some point, if I try to open or modify a plug-in or EQ, I get the spinning wheel of death and then pro tools will either crash with an error log, or I will have to force quit the program and restart it. My %CPU in the activity monitor has been as high as 130.8. Which I don't understand because I would think 100 is the maximum.

I have looked, though maybe not in the right places, but I would appreciate any suggestions or help you can provide to me so I can reduce or eliminate these frustrating issues.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Exclamation Re: Pro Tools Settings for optimum use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
I have PT 10.3.2 on OSX 10.8.2 I have 32G of memory and almost 1 gig free on the drive.
If you only have 1 gig free on your hard drive, that is a problem. You need to fix that before doing anything else.

Quote:
I am finding that as I go through from one song to the next, my meter display in PT is getting slower and slower. More so in songs that I have more tracks in. At some point, if I try to open or modify a plug-in or EQ, I get the spinning wheel of death and then pro tools will either crash with an error log, or I will have to force quit the program and restart it. My %CPU in the activity monitor has been as high as 130.8. Which I don't understand because I would think 100 is the maximum.
The maximum percentage in Activity Monitor is 100*<#_of_cores>. So if you have an 8-core system, the maximum percentage any one process can use is 800%.

Quote:
I have looked, though maybe not in the right places, but I would appreciate any suggestions or help you can provide to me so I can reduce or eliminate these frustrating issues.
If you have crash logs, post them somewhere online where we can view them.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Settings for optimum use.

Sorry. My mistake. I have almost 1 Tb free.

I have done some additional checking and changed my sessions to 88.2 and 32 Bit Floating. According to some of the videos, this is suppose to help.

Do you agree?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Arrow Re: Pro Tools Settings for optimum use.

Quote:
Sorry. My mistake. I have almost 1 Tb free.
That's a relief.

Quote:
I have done some additional checking and changed my sessions to 88.2 and 32 Bit Floating. According to some of the videos, this is suppose to help.

Do you agree?
I don't work at 88.2 or have a need for 32 Bit Float files. Do you think its helping? That might be all that matters.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 AM

I have only been working on sessions I recorded previously. I'm still seeing some things like slow meters on individual channels even though the CPU and disk activity is very minimal.

But with things at 32-bit and 88.2 most things seem okay. The settings were something I found on You Tube when I searched for Pro Tools 10. It also talked about sample settings, but I don't want to change too much without knowing what will happen.

I would feel better knowing what was happening so I could prevent it in the future, but other than the meter issue, things are working. The slowed meters does not affect the audio playback.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:57 AM

If you have more than one processor then in setup, playback engine reduce the processors used by one, even if you only have two.
That will make a big difference.

Higher sample rates use more processing power lower ones less.