Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2015, 04:18 PM

Default pro tools m powered 8 El Capitan?

Hi does anyone know if I upgrade my Mac to El Capitan if my protools m powered 8 software will still work? If not I will keep my recording setup the way it is until something major Happens like a my sound card dies or something... I am tired of spending my hard earned cash on this crap... my fender basses and my Svt rig cost a lot But they will never be obsolete
Old 10-05-2015, 04:55 PM

Default Re: pro tools m powered 8 El Capitan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsong View Post
If not I will keep my recording setup the way it is until something major Happens like a my sound card dies or something...
you answered your own question.

You buy the right to use software, not the actual software itself. I know they suck, but read EULA and you'll see.

Google EULA.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:31 PM

Hey thanks but that still doesn't answer my question will it still work? and what about my plugins? I have a small fortune invested in them...
I am sick of my Mac being held hostage by my protools software.... in fact
I think I will move to logic or cue base.... screw avid they need to eat a slice of humble pie...and they wonder why people pirate software ..
Old 10-05-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
doesn't answer my question will it still work?
It won't work.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:48 PM

i have not tried it so in reality i don't know.

what I do know is this.

current macs and operating systems are 64bit

M-Pwered Pro Tools and plugs are not.

M-Powered PT 8 is particularly old so I would assume its a no go. Best bet is to use a separate hard drive and try to install everything and run it.

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:51 PM

I got sucked in and bought the m audio fast track 8 ultra card
because pro tools would not work with any other card..so now I'm stuck with that too.. $700 for card thats now useless .. I'm a musician not a computer expert...my mac will run el capitan no problem so I don't know why
it should not work…I read somewhere it would not work with mavericks when it came out but I thought they just needed time to catch up…if I spent the money and got pro tools ten or whatever its up to now I could run it on el capitan on the same machine so whats the difference?? I can't see why they can't update it to make it backwards compatible… wait .. I do.. Greed..and they obliviously don't give a **** about their customers.. screw avid they're not getting any more of my cash.. I was just reading that nasdaq gave them the boot awhile ago..whats up with that??.. sorry for the rant..
cheers..and thanks for your help..this a great site..
Old 10-05-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
...I am tired of spending my hard earned cash on this crap... my fender basses and my Svt rig cost a lot But they will never be obsolete
Quote:
...screw avid they need to eat a slice of humble pie...and they wonder why people pirate software ..
Have you considered using Pro Tools|First? It doesn't cost anything to use that version.

I recently upgraded to PT12 from PT10 and the difference between the two is worth entry penny. There was a lot of work done between MP8 and PT12. If Avid gave away all of that effort for free, they'd be broke now. It is what it is.

Anyway, I don't even know if your original post is appropriate for this Forum and should go into the "Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)" legacy forum instead.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
so I don't know why
it should not work…
Because it has been ages since PT8. Not only at Avid but in the whole computer/technical world
(like it or not...of course it´s not cool to be outdated after 4 years but that´s the world today...).
Just have a look at Apple/Macs as there have been released 4(!) new full versions of OS X since
PT8. The last Mac OS X PT M-Powered 8 was compatible with was OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7.
Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...nload/en393671
Today we are on OS X El Capitan 10.11, so actually we have seen Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and
Yosemite since then and every new OS X has introduced technical development and more convenience etc.
What I am trying say is that it´s not Avid only but the whole technical world which is evolving crazily fast,
very often way too fast for the average budget if one wants to stay up to date.

With Pro Tools there happened a huge technical leap as the whole software changed from a 32bit application
(Pro Tools 7, 8, 9 and 10) to a 64bit application (Pro Tools 11, 12) which let no stone unturned actually.
In the sequel there even has changed the plugin and VI format from RTAS (32bit) to AAX 64bit. Needless to
say that such changes do affect sound cards/audio interfaces a lot as well.

The best advice already has been given by the others as well as by yourself which is to simply stay with your
current recording system, leave it as it is (given it does work well).
I personally rather would suggest to invest in another, 2nd computer (by the time) and separate the music
system from the daily computer usage. So you can be up to date with your daily stuff but keep your well working
recording system without having to buy a new version of PT, new versions of your plugins and even an new audio
interface as well. There are a lot of people still using Pro Tools 8 systems just because the over all quality of these
systems is great and it still can be used to create great sounding, professional recordings.

To buy (for example) a 1,4GHz Mac Mini for your daily usage will be more affordable than upgrading your complete
music recording system. Anyway, that´s just suggestions and food for thought of course.

As for other DAWs thats a route to go for sure as well but even with Logic there have been a lot of changes from
version 8 to version 10.10.2 and some things that worked in 8 will not in 10.10.2 anymore as well and the major
updates were paid ones as well. Cubase software alone will be more than a new Mac Mini for example.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CubaseP8
The most affordable yet professionally useable alternative would be Reaper DAW for sure. http://www.reaper.fm

So separating your music recording system from your daily computer for example and leave your PT8 M-powered
system just as it is, might be another option to consider in the long run. Just as a heads up.

The very best to you and the best of success!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:02 PM

This is really easy to test.

Buy a fast USB stick. Load El Capitan and PT 8.

Try it.

It doesn't matter that it's 32bit. Many 32bit programs will run on a 64bit system.

If you experience problems they can be resolved but it's not for the faint hearted. e.g. You might need to create symlinks and change permissions on file dependencies for files Pro Tools uses. Why?... Because Apple has stipulated that applications be sandboxed which means they aren't supposed to be able to access other file locations other than their own. This keeps nefarious applications from doing mischievous things. (Like malware).

Keep in mind that nearly 2/3rds of the stuff other people tell you on forums is based on ignorance. This applies to support personnel as well. (Not necessarily Avid Support). Often Support people only know what their engineers tell them and engineers really don't want to have to explain or support legacy issues because it's not practical.

There are other things to consider as well. Are you a tweaker? Do you like to use the command line? Do you enjoy trouble-shooting why your system broke after an update? Many people build hackintoshes and get a lot of pleasure out of doing so but they are destined to possible breakage at every turn. Plus there's security issues that get introduced by installing un-signed code. Running the compromised code could expose their computer to security exploits and many who pursue this path do not understand that fact. They will argue convincingly that all this is BS but the truth is they are not software engineers and do not know. I've even seen software engineers contradict this truth.

For me, It's too much hassle to be messing around with stuff because I need to work on a solid fully supported system. If something breaks I just want to be able to stick stock disks into my machine and reload everything so I can get back to work. Or even just restore from a Time Machine backup. Once you start hacking the software you open yourself up to a lot of other problems such as system crashes which can damage other files until you sort out what the original problem was. So if you go down this road, you really have to have the stomach for it and totally accept that you are going it alone. There will be no help from others. Kind of a hard road to take don't you think? I say; Spend a little time looking at possible inexpensive options and take the easy route. Get some work done without all the hassle.