Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Now that you mention this, it really makes me wonder what Apple is up to with the new Mac Pro. If they have to comply with that law, that means they have to release it by the middle of September, since they announced it at WWDC in June. That would technically be in the fall, as they said. But some people are not expecting it until later, because of the availability of the new E5 processors.
I bought one of the first 27" imacs back in 2009, and I seem to remember having to wait for almost 2 months before it actually shipped. I don't remember if they announced it earlier than that or not, but I seem to remember paying in September, and actually getting it in November. So maybe we'll see a price and ability to order the new mac pro in September, but there will be a long lead time before you actually get it?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:47 PM

The problem with thinking 6,000 units x $500 = x is that Avid thinks they can force you to buy new hardware.

So they're thinking 6,000 replacement units x $10,000 (for example).

So you'll never win this argument with them.

Even if half of you say "screw Avid" they'll still get more money selling you new hardware.

Until they go out of business.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stukface View Post
As angry as I am about the situation, I'm actually hoping for the opposite of "bring them down". I would prefer for them to fix the situation and improve their customer relations.

I don't want to see Avid fall apart, I enjoy using Protools and would like to continue using it for many more years to come. I have been a Protools user since around 1999 and still think it is the software for me, but if their hardware is going to no longer be functional do to them not writing a driver it forces me to look around for new options.

Come on Avid do the right thing and respond with a positive solution to this costly issue.

I still have hope that they will make the right move.
My sentiments exactly... Except I've been with them since around 2002.
Still hoping that they'll do the right thing so we can all be happy.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I bought one of the first 27" imacs back in 2009, and I seem to remember having to wait for almost 2 months before it actually shipped. I don't remember if they announced it earlier than that or not, but I seem to remember paying in September, and actually getting it in November. So maybe we'll see a price and ability to order the new mac pro in September, but there will be a long lead time before you actually get it?
That totally makes sense. As long as they make it available to purchase, maybe they can comply with the law, even if it doesn't ship for a while.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lang View Post
The problem with thinking 6,000 units x $500 = x is that Avid thinks they can force you to buy new hardware.
I don't believe that to be the case. They don't even have another product in this price range besides the C24 and that unit is pretty old.

Is anyone really going to replace their Control 24 or Pro Control with another older Avid controller after being forced to?

It's not about getting people to buy new hardware. It's about ending support for older devices because you simply can't affords to support everything you've ever made.

They make a schedule and plan it out and this is what they've done. It may not be the best idea for them or their customers but it's not about getting everyone to buy new controllers otherwise they would have made it so that none of the older interfaces work either. And they haven't.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:52 PM

It might be that Avid want to move on but when a large part of their loyal customers can't or won't because it is just too expensive then a rethink is always an option. Especially if they want to get the money that is on the table if they listen and provide the products that will bring further revenues.

It is not as if technology companies have a great record of getting it right, take Microsoft with all their cash but they still make products that people don't buy as they expected. They realise it and than they need to adjust!!
Note they are still supporting Windows Xp and how old is that!!

So we can be sure that Avid will get it wrong, as they have with their controller strategy and the CPTK expansion. It doesn't take that much wisdom to admit you got it wrong, but it does take some willingness to listen and read the numbers. The issue is what are the PT11 numbers, are they below target, if yes then someone will already to challenging them to FIX IT. But if revenue is as planned then we are where we are.....

I want them to be successful ....but I need them to fix the controller problem if I am to spend any significant monies with them in the future.

Their decision is a make or break point for me, that is the bottom line!!

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 07-19-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
It might be that Avid want to move on but when a large part of their loyal customers can't or won't because it is just too expensive then a rethink is always an option.

Cheers
Scotsman
Of course. But it's pretty obvious that Avid did want to move on when they stopped making these controllers. What comes next is a finite amount of time where they don't make them but still support them and write drivers for them.

But it's not unreasonable for that time to be finite. It's just a disagreement as to how long that time should be.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 PM

I think we might have caught a glimpse of what the future holds for the middle segment of the controller market with the LS3...

Darryl Ramm
Old 07-20-2013, 06:56 AM

Yes like the look of that LS3, but as a Control 24 replacement it doesn't have the transport or monitors controls and for those who use them the pre-amps (I have a rack full of much better pre-amps, so would be happy without them).

Also supports the focus down to Eucon only strategy......

I'm wondering or rather hoping, that part of the delay in answering us is simply them trying to work out what to do. With no CEO/VP answer there is always hope!! But our money stay in our pockets and not in theirs.

Maybe there is a new controller on the horizon where they offer us guys such a great deal that we would stretch that little bit more. But with it being some way off they can't say right now.

Or it might just be that they have walked away, I hope not. To dismiss your better customers is not a good long term business idea!!

Cheers
Scotsman
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 AM

I would expect new product announcements as we get close to AES in October.