How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 10:20 AM

Default Bounce Mix will do the result in part

I have not much experience, but today I ended up with this:
I created a project which consists of a 40 minutes long recording.
I added the effects (EQ, de-esser, compressor, artificial EQ and some more)
When I made the last move, perhaps Bounce Mix, everything seemed fine.
Everything seemed appropriate until I started listening to the result and I discovered that the result somewhere from three quarters to the end was silence. There is no error message, all as usual!
I thought that I would repeat, exchanged some plugins and got a similar result again, just the silence was less and the poit was moved from which the silence started.
I think it may be related to some plugin(s) I used, but I am not sure about that. iZotope Ozone 11 is one suspect, has not used it before.
Do you also have an advance to get such a result where part is silence and what to explain it? I had only one track. Started OK, but somewhere from the middle silence came. I only found it when I interrogated the result.
It is certainly not a coincidence because I had it twice.
And I hope you do not mind, because the forum is for discussion.
It is often said that one or the other plugin takes a lot of resources, is this the place now?
Edit. I forgot to say that this is a post production and everything was in the original recording all right.

Last edited by inspire; 11-02-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Bounce Mix will do the result in part

Hmmm, some thoughts:
1-what happens if you bounce without Ozone? If its okay that way, then you know Ozone is the problem(maybe it is not authorized and running in "demo" mode). You can leave Ozone in place, just make it inactive(right-click>Make Inactive).
2-if #1 doesn't fix it, disable all plugins and repeat the bounce. This will tell you for sure if its a plugin or not.
3-if its not a plugin, then I would double-check the bounce source, and, assuming the bounced file goes silent at the exact same point, look for some unintended automation.
4-how are you selecting the bounce? Are you simply bouncing the session, or are you actually selecting the 40 minutes of the timeline(which I would do).
5-a workaround; bounce the last 12 minutes separately. If that bounces correctly, drag the 2 bounced files into a blank session and splice them together< consolidate and export. Another workaround, route all your tracks to a new AUDIO track and record the mix(then export it). Of course, this only works in real time, but its a way to complete the task

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-02-2023, 11:21 PM

Albee1952, thank you very much for the ideas!
1 - I will try it out this weekend.
2 - Good plan!
4 - Yes, I'll choose 40 minutes on the timeline. BTW, "bouncing the session", how you do this?
5 - It's really around the corner, and I would rather not have to do such a thing.

Many plugins are new for me, and all Waves plugins - I am using them for the first time here! It could be any reason, really. But I suspect it's a more complex plugin rather than a simple EQ.
I'll let you know about the results this weekend.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire View Post
4 - Yes, I'll choose 40 minutes on the timeline. BTW, "bouncing the session", how you do this?
This is when you run the Bounce function with no time selected. You say you selected 40 minutes, but does the session have any blank space at the top? Just trying to figure out what's going on As you have lots of new plugins, ruling them out is the first step As for setting the timeline to be included, I like to zoom out so I can see the entire audio, then drag from the end to the beginning on any track so I have a timeline selection(which you can fine tune) and then I hit Enter on the numeric keypad(as if I am going to drop a marker) but save this as a selection and name it bounce(I usually name it bounce me or bouncer, due to me twisted sense of humor). Going forward, clicking on that selection in the Memory Locations window will select the exact timeline selection I wish to bounce.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:52 AM

Thank you very much for the explanations!!!
I am testing and valid is Murphy's law, I cannot repeat it
I'll add the last screenshot and all OK. I'll try again in tomorrow (I will add complexity).
I will add DeBreath and one compressor and to the end the limiter.
What I thought was probably not guilty.
I noticed that when I added more plugins, the time of the process was prolonged. But how can I assess how much one or another plugin resource takes from the computer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mix_7.jpg (24.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 7-RDeEsser-Bouncing.jpg (46.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mix_8.jpg (24.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by inspire; 11-04-2023 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Specifically
Old 11-04-2023, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspire View Post
how can I assess how much one or another plugin resource takes from the computer?
This only happens by trial and error(aka experience). Some plugins don't eat up anything and some others will slow down to a crawl when bouncing Maybe do some experimenting by putting the DeBreath plugin on the audio track and right-click on the plugin and choose "Commit up to this insert". Do that in off-line mode and see how long it takes. There are many ways to debreath with other plugins, or even manual edits. You need to try many methods and choose the one that suits your needs best

Old 11-05-2023, 12:17 PM

Plugins are easy to add, it is more difficult to get them to work correctly and tasty.
It was not repeated and I am pleased with this. Thanks for thinking and helping, it helped. Somehow it is more courageous to test if there are inclusive thinkers.
Anyway, I got a lot of experience. I have a lot to learn, but it is a pleasure to find this kind of help here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -Mix_9.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by inspire; 11-05-2023 at 12:21 PM. Reason: added photo