Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2023, 08:25 AM

Default How do I play back directly to Zoom?

Hi, all! OK so I'm a casting director for commercial voiceovers who frequently uses Zoom to conduct auditions. Like the title says, I just want to play back my PT track (usually consisting of whatever the actor just read) directly to Zoom rather than through my speakers via my mic.

As per Zoom instructions, I first do the following: in Zoom I hit Share Screen -> Advanced tab -> share Computer Audio. This works like a charm for playing the audio from, say, a YouTube video, but when I try to play back a track on PT -- nothin. The thing is, I can RECORD my Zoom audio directly to PT just fine. Just can't play back. I gotta say I'm feeling colossally stupid that I can't figure out what's wrong.

Tech info: I'm on an iMac running Ventura 13.5.2 with a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 interface. On my computer prefs I have both input and output source set to the Scarlett. Screenshots of PT I/O are attached.

Any enlightenment appreciated! Thx!

Rikki
Old 10-21-2023, 08:43 AM

Default Re: How do I play back directly to Zoom?

https://youtu.be/_tcFiHofBu8?feature=shared

Google is amazing!
Old 10-21-2023, 08:47 AM

You use the Pro Tools Aux IO as the link between Pro Tools and Zoom. Or use any number of third party other routing software, like Rogue Amoeba Loopback to do the same. All been discussed on DUC in the past and should be findable with Google search using the site:duc.avid.com qualifier.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:49 AM

Thanks, guys. Unfortunately I'm still stuck. New screenshots attached.

Actually, I saw the suggested video on Aux I/O prior to my posting but I could not even FIND Aux I/O in my version of PT which is why I was totally confused. At first I thought it was because that video features PT Ultimate and I have Studio, but it turns out I hadn't updated since 2022 and "Aux I/O" is an entirely new feature since then. So I paid for another license and updated to the 2023 version (even though I had a "perpetual" license before, but that's a whole 'nuther rant/thread...).

Yet even with the update, still no luck. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

First I created a separate Zoom channel in Aux I/O using the pre-named ZoomAudioDevice" option, than created a Send output to that channel from the mix console (I hope I'm saying this right, I frequently get my audio terms jumbled). This step seems fine, as the mic signal is clearly being picked up as seen in the separate slider module (see screenshot).

Then in Zoom I set the mic input to "ProTools Audio Bridge 2-A" as instructed in the video but the signal is not coming through. Here I notice two clues that seem suspicious: shouldn't the input channel coming into Zoom read the same as in PT? That is, "ZoomAudioDevice?" I also noticed that the name of the Send channel is in italics, which to me usually means that one end of the line (or both) are dead and/or not connected.

I do have to say, the problem I have with the videos suggested by Google is that they're all by the same guy who uses far more complicated visual setups and terminology than I can easily follow, and moves super fast so even when slowing the video I can't always see what he clicked on to produce a given window.

Does anyone know of a simpler tutorial for a noob (read: complete idiot) like me?!

Thanks!

Rikki
Old 10-22-2023, 10:12 PM

Audio Bridge. That connects two different applications together.

Audio from PT - Bridge to - Zoom input. Because that is the source.
Input and output can't be the same.

Zoom output is the same output of your system/PT.

Mic you set up in pro tools and send that to the Aux bridge. You just have to remember to mute it or it will create a feedback delay.

This video posted before is pretty much the same:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcFiHofBu8

Honestly, I would suggest paying someone 100 bucks or so to train you and get you setup. it will save you a long going headache.

If I have a clogged drain, I don't just rely on Drano and keep doing Drano when it doesn't work. I call someone.

Just saying
Almost every plugin
Old 10-23-2023, 05:33 PM

Thanks, Audiolex.

I take your point about hiring a pro so I can learn how my plumbing works. :)

That said, I would have thought this would be a fairly common problem with a relatively simple solution, not one that would require going to plumbing school. However, even after reading your very clear post and watching the video for the umpteenth time I am evidently still doing something wrong because I cannot get any signal over Zoom during PT playback. At least not when I set the mic selection (in Zoom prefs) to "Pro Tools Audio Bridge 2-A" as shown in the video. However, I DO get a signal when I set it to either my interface ("Scarlett 4i4") or "Same as System." It just sounds low and kinda muddy, not at all as full and crisp as when I play, say, a YouTube video using the Zoom share computer sound option.

The problem I have with that video is it uses a very different looking version of PT than mine with a super complicated track setup and the mouse actions move wayyy too fast for my noob brain, often getting ahead of the instructions so even when I stop and replay it I still have trouble following it.

All of which is to say: you're right. Time to hire a pro who can hold my hand and get me tutored on I/O stuff once and for all. *Sigh* :)

Thanks again for your help and patience to this point.

Rikki