Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2023, 02:31 AM

Default Quantise to another track NOT the grid?

Is it possible to quantise my audio (or midi for that matter) to another track rather than the grid? For example, I might want to tighten up my guitars and bass to some live drums, rather than the grid.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Quantise to another track NOT the grid?

Use Beat Detective to create a Bars and Beats Tempo Map based on the drums, then tighten instruments to that. Great way to retain feel but be able to tighten consistently - also super useful to be able to lock drum machines/programming to live performances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2023, 07:09 AM

I finally got a project where I need to try this out but I couldn't get it to work. I create a groove template from a track and save it. Then when I try to apply this to my guitar track in elastic audio mode, I open the quantise box and select the groove template from the drop down. However, when I select the template in the drop down nothing happens, it just stays on whatever grid resolution was last selected and clicking apply just quantises to the grid....

What am I doing wrong? It doesn't seem to work. I'm basically expecting it to line up the analysis markers on one track with the markers on the track I made the groove template from.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:12 AM

Another option is to use Elastic Audio. If you turn on EA on say, kick, snare and hat and set those tracks to show warp markers, you can use them as a guide to pull other tracks into alignment with the drums. You may want to experiment with the different algorithms to find which works best on any given track. For me, X-Form has the fewest artifacts, but as it renders in real time, every single move makes the audio go off-line for seconds or minutes, depending on the power of the computer, and the length of the audio clip, so I tend to separate audio so that the clip(s) I am editing fits on the screen(shorter clips render faster). If you are new to Elastic Audio, watch some youtube tutorials on how to use it, and drop markers to lock the ends of the clip you are working on so the ends stay in place(make this newbie goof and you will understand).

If you were going to other way(moving drums to fit other instruments), then Beat Detective is a better tool than EA

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-23-2023, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Another option is to use Elastic Audio. If you turn on EA on say, kick, snare and hat and set those tracks to show warp markers, you can use them as a guide to pull other tracks into alignment with the drums. You may want to experiment with the different algorithms to find which works best on any given track. For me, X-Form has the fewest artifacts, but as it renders in real time, every single move makes the audio go off-line for seconds or minutes, depending on the power of the computer, and the length of the audio clip, so I tend to separate audio so that the clip(s) I am editing fits on the screen(shorter clips render faster). If you are new to Elastic Audio, watch some youtube tutorials on how to use it, and drop markers to lock the ends of the clip you are working on so the ends stay in place(make this newbie goof and you will understand).

If you were going to other way(moving drums to fit other instruments), then Beat Detective is a better tool than EA
Thanks for the response but I think this is missing the point.

I'm trying to save the hours and hours it will take to manually line them all up by hand. I know how to use elastic audio. I just want to quantise the markers to the markers from another track instead of the grid.

Let's say I have my drums, they're fine I don't need to edit them. But the guitar is all over the place. I want to extract the groove (i.e. markers) from the drum track and then go to my guitar track and quantise it, not to the grid but to the groove template I just extracted from the drum track.

Now what's happening is when I go to the (example) guitar track, with elastic audio enabled, and open the quantise dialog, when I select a groove template I've made myself nothing happens, the name in the drop-down doesn't even change. However, if I select one of the preset/bundled groove templates then it does work. Is this a bug? I can't seem to use any groove template I've created myself to quantise with.
Old 11-23-2023, 05:12 AM

Default Quantise to another track NOT the grid?

As I mentioned before - use Beat Detective to create Bar | Beat Markers (ie make the grid follow your drums), then you can quantise to that. You may need to manually tidy up a few of the markers, but once you’ve done it you have a grid that follows the performance that you can use for the rest of the production.

Last edited by TJ Allen; 11-23-2023 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Allen View Post
As I mentioned before - use Beat Detective to create Bar | Beat Markers (ie make the grid follow your drums), then you can quantise to that. You may need to manually tidy up a few of the markers, but once you’ve done it you have a grid that follows the performance that you can use for the rest of the production.

Yeah thats what I've been trying to do, but the groove templates I'm generating don't seem to work...
Old 11-24-2023, 10:30 AM

What I’m suggesting isn’t using Groove Templates. It’s creating a grid based on the drum performance then simply quantising to that. Check the Beat Detective section in the manual for details.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:42 AM

Easiest would be using VocAlign plug, but it costs extra and your results may vary on long takes.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphonz View Post
... I'm trying to save the hours and hours it will take to manually line them all up by hand ...
In cases like this, manual edits give the best results. Worth the time. Cut and nudge your way through the track. My 2 cents.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume