Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Computer lock-up. Hard reboot required.

Alright.
Brand new iMac.
Fresh install of everything.
Everything works great!! I'm impressed with the fluidity of the software once again. A fresh install really did wonders for easy of workflow.

Until this morning.

Now, if I import a new sound into the session the import to clip bank works perfect. If if then takes more than 3 seconds to drag the clip into the editor, computer will lock up to the point of requiring a hard reboot.

The clip in remains hollow as if being dragged, then stops. the computer from that moment is unresponsive, indefinitely. No spinning ball, no auto-restart, absolute suspended animation. Opt+Command+Esc. does nothing to resolve. Only resolution is to hold the power button long enough for it all to go black, then reboot a little later.

Any advice?

Thanks.
------------------------------------------
Pro Tools 12.7.1
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

External Oxford 911 2TB drive
ProTools read/write partition is 500GB.
Sound Library is on a 2TB external USB 2.0 drive.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Computer lock-up. Hard reboot required.

We need a lot more info, man...

Have you done all the normal troubleshooting stuff? Trash prefs, restart w/ stock plugins, yadda yadda? Is the problem reproducible?

When you say "fresh install of everything" does this include the OS? What OS, and how did you install it? (Was it an upgrade over an existing version, or did you wipe the drive and reinstall from scratch?)

Sounds like a read/write issue. In your sig it says "External Oxford 911 2TB drive
ProTools read/write partition is 500GB."

Does this mean the session is on that 500gb partition and Pro Tools is on your internal system drive? Why is the Oxford 911 drive partitioned? What connection type for this drive? (Firewire? USB?)

Have you tried launching the session from a different drive? (Maybe the USB 2.0 drive...)

Assuming you're running the Pro Tools app internally and doing the read write from a separate drive (the recommended method), you might have a corrupt partition, or something of the sort.

I'm generally a 'nuke the site from orbit' kind of guy, when it comes to problems this severe (it's the only way to be sure), so I'd usually recommend you wipe the 911 drive and start fresh with no partitions (obviously, you'll want to copy the session somewhere else and then back again), and if you didn't install the OS from scratch, I'd recommend wiping that drive too.

You may, however, want to work your way up to that, in the off chance the problem is fixable with less drastic measures.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 06-06-2017, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Computer lock-up. Hard reboot required.

Hmm... Fusion Drive?