Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

Talking With no further ado, this is how you Convert your libs. to PERFECT Structure Patches

Sometimes it's good being such stubborn SOAB

I have found a pretty bullet proof way of converting just about anything into great sounding Structure patches.

You will need TWO things

1 ) CDXtract

2 ) Kontakt 2 ( I know, but it is necessary )

I have never gotten any of a.m. to work reliably with Structure alone. But today, I thought I'd try a few alternatives.
I have now converted half of my entire sample library to perfect sounding Structure patches.
There has been VERY little errors and those who were there, could be easily fixed.

This is what you need to do:

1) Convert ANYTHING that CDXtract is capable of converting. AKAI, EXS24, GIGA you name it - into important NKI which is NI Format

If you try to load it into to Structure now you will fail

2) Open Kontakt 2, and hit batch re-save from the load/save menu. Now navigate to the folder you just converted with CDXtract.
Select it and wait for Kontakt 2 to finish. Voila - you are good to go.

Either, simply drag one of the batch re-saved patches from the Finder into Structure or put an alias of the folder into your Structure favorites for easy access from the patch load menu.

Structure has, as of now, been able to load and play all the patches I have made (about 150 GB) perfectly well. From Heart of Africa(AKAI) to Vienna Symphonic Orchestra (EXS24). I have also converted many GIGA samples which are loading just fine.

In very few cases the sound, sounded weird. In most cases all you have gotta do is go to the Filter tab of the part and remove the cutoff filter which has been mysteriously applied. Then the patch is normal. This happened in very few cases.

This is awesome. I have tried comparing the converted patches with the originals and they match great and they play great.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

As a little bonus, I have figured out a way to Import Kontakt 3 patches into Structure as well. This is a little more tricky as K3 uses scripting and advanced programming for many patches, which will get lost in translation. But many of them play very nicely.

You will need

1)Translator Pro - Latest Version

2) Kontakt 2

Open Translator 5.9 Buid 65 (Latest build) and browse to the Kontakt 3 patch or folder you want to import.
Then in the translator tab select Reason NN-XT Program and designate your folders. Then hit Translate

When done, open Kontakt 2 and browse to the, newly translated folder with the kontakt 2 file browser. Choose to import the whole folder. Wait for it to finish. You might have to tell K2 where the samples are located.
When done, with Kontakt 2 - do a batch re-save on the folder you just imported.

Now you can load them up into Structure. I would say that 90% of them are sounding good but without the scripting feature of Kontakt 3. At least they sound exactly the same as in Kontakt 2. So this is great, at least for me.....

I dont have a clue why it works, in this tangled way, but it does. And I thought I'd share it with all of you having had problems with getting samples into Structure and have them sounding like they should.
Loading times on all the converted patches is NOT as long as standard Structure patches but the reason for that, is that Structure patches have quite a few FX applied to them.

I am reporting this to AIR as well and have been talking to Wolfram there. I will do what I can to supply AIR with information so that we wont have do go thru' above channels to import all the great patches out there....

Good Nite
Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 PM

Cool Re: With no further ado, this is how you Convert your libs. to PERFECT Structure Patc

Awesome !!!

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Default Re: With no further ado, this is how you Convert your libs. to PERFECT Structure Patc

You Rock! I will try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Sometimes it's good being such stubborn SOAB

I have found a pretty bullet proof way of converting just about anything into great sounding Structure patches.

You will need TWO things

1 ) CDXtract

2 ) Kontakt 2 ( I know, but it is necessary )

I have never gotten any of a.m. to work reliably with Structure alone. But today, I thought I'd try a few alternatives.
I have now converted half of my entire sample library to perfect sounding Structure patches.
There has been VERY little errors and those who were there, could be easily fixed.

This is what you need to do:

1) Convert ANYTHING that CDXtract is capable of converting. AKAI, EXS24, GIGA you name it - into important NKI which is NI Format

If you try to load it into to Structure now you will fail

2) Open Kontakt 2, and hit batch re-save from the load/save menu. Now navigate to the folder you just converted with CDXtract.
Select it and wait for Kontakt 2 to finish. Voila - you are good to go.

Either, simply drag one of the batch re-saved patches from the Finder into Structure or put an alias of the folder into your Structure favorites for easy access from the patch load menu.

Structure has, as of now, been able to load and play all the patches I have made (about 150 GB) perfectly well. From Heart of Africa(AKAI) to Vienna Symphonic Orchestra (EXS24). I have also converted many GIGA samples which are loading just fine.

In very few cases the sound, sounded weird. In most cases all you have gotta do is go to the Filter tab of the part and remove the cutoff filter which has been mysteriously applied. Then the patch is normal. This happened in very few cases.

This is awesome. I have tried comparing the converted patches with the originals and they match great and they play great.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

As a little bonus, I have figured out a way to Import Kontakt 3 patches into Structure as well. This is a little more tricky as K3 uses scripting and advanced programming for many patches, which will get lost in translation. But many of them play very nicely.

You will need

1)Translator Pro - Latest Version

2) Kontakt 2

Open Translator 5.9 Buid 65 (Latest build) and browse to the Kontakt 3 patch or folder you want to import.
Then in the translator tab select Reason NN-XT Program and designate your folders. Then hit Translate

When done, open Kontakt 2 and browse to the, newly translated folder with the kontakt 2 file browser. Choose to import the whole folder. Wait for it to finish. You might have to tell K2 where the samples are located.
When done, with Kontakt 2 - do a batch re-save on the folder you just imported.

Now you can load them up into Structure. I would say that 90% of them are sounding good but without the scripting feature of Kontakt 3. At least they sound exactly the same as in Kontakt 2. So this is great, at least for me.....

I dont have a clue why it works, in this tangled way, but it does. And I thought I'd share it with all of you having had problems with getting samples into Structure and have them sounding like they should.
Loading times on all the converted patches is NOT as long as standard Structure patches but the reason for that, is that Structure patches have quite a few FX applied to them.

I am reporting this to AIR as well and have been talking to Wolfram there. I will do what I can to supply AIR with information so that we wont have do go thru' above channels to import all the great patches out there....

Good Nite
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 PM

Default Re: With no further ado, this is how you Convert your libs. to PERFECT Structure Patc

insanity
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM

Ghost,

Do I HAVE to use K2 or can I use K3 for batch re-save? Wondering b/c I only have K1.5 and K3 (not K2).

thx
Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM

First.... Thanks to the Ghost. Great info. Well done.

Now all I need to do is buy a competiters discontinued product to convert the patches my flagship sampler was supposed to import out of the box.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-20-2009, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

My hard drive is in the post

Criz

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 AM

Wolf said he was talking to you, good thing Ghost, a better use of your time than insulting 56 year women!

I'll play with this and if it's OK will post it up on the blog to save others from the blood, sweat and tears.

FWIW and fingers crossed it may not be necessary to take this work-around much longer - watch this space.

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Ghost,

Do I HAVE to use K2 or can I use K3 for batch re-save? Wondering b/c I only have K1.5 and K3 (not K2).

thx
Don't use K3. Then u won't be able to load into Structure

But try with K1. who knows that might work too
Old 02-20-2009, 03:46 AM

I'm also getting good results with Translator Pro, it has it's idiosyncrasies but when you figure them out it's pretty on the money. I've been throwing a lot of stuff through it as a review for the blog, as I say some minor gripes but nothing to cry over.

Founder of the Expert Sites.