Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2008, 04:26 AM

Default Re: aaarrrgh...! HISS!!

I think I'll just striked this off my future purchases shopping list plan.

Thanks for the valuable info guys, just saved me £7000!!
Now where is that Euphonix phone number again . . . . . ?
Old 04-05-2008, 08:21 AM

Dee Mac,
The C24 is great. I have been using mine for a few months now with now problems. You can only hear a little hiss if you turn up your control room volume to 0db with no other sound playing and the studio is completely quite(which by the way if you played music through the console at this volume is extremely loud., The control room volume starts at minus like a session fade in pro tools. The hiss isn't any different then any other console. I hardly turn my console fader up to 1/3 to 1/2 max and playback is loud, and I mix heavy metal music often.
I to thought of saving money and buying others, like the Euphonix, command 8, etc... I am so glad I didn't go that way. I do feel Digidesign could drop the price of the console though, but digi, is digi and sometimes they are not as fair n pricing as some others out there.
But I do really enjoy having more faders,buttons,pans, etc... I can now mix musically, not mouselly.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:14 PM

One of my friends has a control 24 surface (and had it replaced about 3 times due to faulty power supply issues). This desk was £5000 and is an imposing looking beast. When I first saw the C24 I guessed that it would be less in cost (I thought about £3500 - £4000) I could just about streatch to these sort of figures. When I found out that Digi wanted £7000 for this surface that put it completely out the window for me (I'm currently with a Digi002 system) I just refuse to believe that the raw components of this machine and R&D costs make this worth £7000 (it looks very plasticy to me - and my studio needs a centre piece to wow the customers (my Allen & Heath GS3000 with meter bridge does this just about). I feel digi have lost the plot with some of their pricing structures (Icon & HD systems) Come on now, the rest of the computer/electronics industries can put out seriously speced bits of kit for buttons these days, but Digi because of their position and reputation appear to cost items at ridiculous levels. No for me the Euphonix is the first sensibly priced and speced surface that I've seen recently. Also given some of the posts here the C24 is just not for me. Such a pity.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hiss hiss hiss making me pissed too! Tried all kinds of level configs...still can't
clean it up . Only midi tracks ok until busted out to audio...then hissing again. A
serious c/24 flaw digi
Unless I'm mistaken, on of our reps conatacted you directly and got this sorted - your last comment being it was working 'like a charm'.

Mwnci - We're going to have a rep in our UK office contact you to see if we can resolve your issues.

We want to reiterate - there should be no 'hiss' from this unit. The 'auto listenback' feature is the most likely culprit for unexpected noise. This unit was evaluated and given high marks by some of the best in the industry and we think it's worthy of the praise.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM

So..

After hitting a brick wall with Digidesign technical staff via email/phone over this issue I was advised to pursue things with my supplier.

The supplier had a 3rd unit which he suggested swapping with me.

Before doing so He thought it best to test the unit for the fault that I (and others on this forum) have been describing

And guess what...The 3RD unit has the identical fault. What are the chances??

Just to confirm,

[b]THIS IS THE 3RD UNIT WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

AMP/DC NOISE ON THE OUPUTS OF THE C24 AT UNEXCEPTABLE LEVELS
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 AM

Hi,

I have now "driven" one week with C24 and I noticed the same low Hiss problem as few of C24 users in this forum.
Only muteing control room out will stop Hissing ... no talkback, listen back, Cue or anything else are in use, but control room out in stereo mode. Not even session started ... just offline mode, but low level Hiss is there. I've been checked out all possible "signal generators" and outputs, but nothing helps. I'm using world wide studio standard monitors Genelec 8030A and subwoofer 7050B.
Setup volume in 8030A is turned full position as recommended and subwoofer is cutted with -4dB switch. Hiss is not loud, but when listening and mixing music with low volumes, then it is quite disturbing noise.
I also noticed that C24 micpreamps is almost impossible to use with drums, because there is no headroom for adjustments ... no matter if using +4 or -10 recording level, signal is clipping easily with bassdrum, toms and snare drum ... using shure57 and AKG112D dynamic mics. Condensator mics are working ok with drum's overhead recording.
I wonder that there is no PAD control to reduce signal level in mic-level inputs, so I would be very greatful, if digidesign could advise how to record drums without changing position of mic-input rear cables (DB25-XLRF).

br, Mikko

MacPro - 8 pros.
96i i/o
protools HD accel core
C24
Genelec 8030A, 7050B
Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 AM

the C24 definitely has a dramatic problem in the analog monitoring section.
I had one in my studio for testing for 1 week, and I did one day of just comparing the C24 Monitoring Section to my SPL MTC 2381.

Definitely a Hiss in the C24, and the Sound of the SPL was a little bigger and fuller.

I did some measurements with Spectrafoo where you can see it clearly.

I will post pictures later today.

DIGI, any word on this? and please don´t tell us we shouldn´t have this, because WE DO HAVE it!!!

my Control 8 Monitoring Section was also totally unusable, that´s why I got the SPL.

Thank you very much!

www.audio-machinery.com
Old 05-06-2008, 04:43 PM

I have had no further contact from Digidesign on this issue..despite 3 units with the same fault

Is there anyone out there that can definitively say they DO NOT have low level hiss on the outputs of the new C24?

I would bet not..
Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 PM

In my previous post in this exact thread, I said I have no hiss.

I tried hard to make my board hiss and could only do so with the Listen Mic cranked all the way up it would put hiss into my reference monitors, with no inputs connected to board and only my main outs connected.

What was the brick wall that you hit you hit with tech support? I highly doubt that they are NOT concerned that you have noise with their new C24.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
In my previous post in this exact thread, I said I have no hiss.
Hi SoundOnSound,

what monitors do you use with your C24, and how do you have it hooked up?

please, try the following:
just power up your C24 and your monitors, nothing else.
then turn up the listen Volume to 0 dB, and then to +10 dB.

then plese tell me what you hear!

you will have a very loud and clear hiss.

Now, all will say, yeah, but one doesn´t do that, it´s way too loud with music etc....
BUT that´s not the point!!!!!
when I do that with my SPL MTC I hear absolutely NOTHING!!!! no difference whatever volume I dial in!!!
and that´s how it should be in my opinion....

I also talked wih my dealer about that, and he was able to reproduce that in the shop, and was also shocked.
it doesn´t matter what monitors you use, we tried about 3 different pairs.

my dealer also said something about an electronic mismatch , and that one would need a block diagram of the unit to understand what is wrong in there....
but it defnitely IS something wrong in there!!

DIGI, I´d love to buy one of these, but having to use a seperate monitor controller with it is so ridiculous....

DIGI, PLEASE comment on this one!!!!

www.audio-machinery.com