Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Default Re: aaarrrgh...! HISS!!

With only the monitors connected, the problems persist HISS/DC NOISE/CLICKS (on alternative Monitors also)

NOTHING CONNECTED TO ANY INPUTS

I have tried another cable..it is the same.

There is DC switching noise on the level control as well on assorted selector buttons

Could this be design errors on the connections to the internal multi socket? (earth/live/return)

THIS IS THE SECOND UNIT WITH IDENTICAL SYMPTOMS.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Avid

Can everyone that is having this problem detail the signal flow from the C|24 exactly, including brands and models of Amps, Speakers, etc. Also gain settings on Amps, Speakers, C|24 control room volume.

Have you measured the SPL of the noise? I'm curious as to how loud this hiss is?

Also what interfaces are you using to feed the C|24 inputs? (I know some of you are saying with no inputs connected...but humor me)

I'm not experiencing this problem with mine, but with more information, maybe we can find the problem in your setups.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Avid

I'm in agreement with livesoundguy - I think we're going to need more info. There really shouldn't be any noticeable hiss, unless there's something else going on in the signal chain, or some other noise source contributing to the problem.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM

ill tell you my setup,but it seems as if lots of people are having this hiss problem with lots of configurations
hd2,c/24/96io,dynaudio bm15a,genelec 8020a,also had jbllsr4328 with same problem,but sold those. no extra gain on any speakers-my hiss problem is when transport stops and when im bouncing to disc.auto talkbak is on.how does effect the hiss and how could i correct problem-all digi cables with c/24 bundle connected directly to monitors.please help and also is there a way to change contrast on scribble strips because in different positions not very visible
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 03-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Avid

Turn off AutoTalkback.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:34 PM
Avid

Auto talkback turns on the talkback and listen mics and Dim whenever the transport is stopped, and turns these back off while playing. If the talkback mic or listen mic level is up this could add noise to the signal, and would only be present when the transport is stopped.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Firstly, Auto talkback is off

The fault is the same regardless of what is connected to the C24.

It is the same without ANYTHING connected to the inputs of the c24.

The speakers that i am using are Adam S3A's. The input gain is set to default.
You can cut or boost the input by 10dbs from the default setting

If you cut the input gain by -10db the hiss/clicking/DC noise is reduced by...you guest it!...10db and still well above acceptable levels on ANY equipment that i have heard.

Here is an email from Digi support:

I just wanted to update you on some more information that we have regarding your issue with the C|24, and get some more information from yourself.

Our repair team have been able to reproduce the "hiss" from the C|24 outputs but only when adjusting the gain for the system.

How have you got your speakers setup in terms of the Input Gain setting? If you reduce the Input Gain to -10db do you get the same problem?

Another option would be to adjust the output trims from the C|24 monitor section.

First try resetting the monitor gain levels and trim offsets:

1. Press the Utility switch
2. Press the encoder switch that corresponds to “System.”
3. Hold the encoder switch that corresponds to “Reset Monitor Gains.”
4. To confirm the reset, press the encoder switch that corresponds to “OK.”
5. When you are finished, press the encoder switch that corresponds to “Exit.”

If the problem persists, try adjusting the trim for the C|24 outputs:

1. Hold the Output Channel switch until the switch flashes. The channel name and Trim amount appear in the right side of the LCD displays.
2. Turn the Control Room encoder to adjust the Trim amount.
3. Press the flashing Output Channel switch to confirm the change.

Try this with the main monitor outputs to your speakers and let me know if there is any difference

My reply was:

Resetting the monitor gain levels and trim offsets has no effect.

Adjusting the C24 outputs has no effect on the level of the hiss/DC noise.

Reducing the input gain on the speakers to -10db reduces the hiss DC noise by, you guest it, 10db!
The noise is still well above tolerance for a desk of this price.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:13 PM

MY HISS PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED BY TURNING DOWN THE LISTEN MIC ALL THE WAY DOWN AND IM FEELING GREAT TODAY.HOPE EVERYONE ELSE FINDS A SOLUTION TO THEIR PROBLEMS
Macpro 2.88-4 Gig Ram,HD2,Big Ben,Rosetta 200,Dangerous D Box,Mercury Bundle + Studio classics bundle ,C/24,2-UA 6176,U87ai,Genelec 8050 & 8020,Logic,Final Cut Studio 2,Canon hxa1(hd camera)-Macbook Pro,Mbox 2 Micro.http://www.masterlinkstudios.com/.http://www.myspace.com/masterlinkstudios
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM

Hiss hiss hiss making me pissed too! Tried all kinds of level configs...still can't
clean it up . Only midi tracks ok until busted out to audio...then hissing again. A
serious c/24 flaw digi
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM

I noticed a bad hiss only if I had the Listen Mic knob cranked up in Monitoring section. With that down and nothing connect to C24 except monitors, I have no hiss. I do hear a very faint grounding electrical type noise, but it's also in the headphones and all other gear that is connected to my UPS.

I have to crank the control room to -5 or 0db with the studio perfectly silent to hear that noise. Which again, doesn't sound like hiss, but electrical cross talk.

If anyone is having hiss with the Listen Mic knob turned all the way down, please post a recording of the noise so we can all determine if everyone is having the same noise, or different.

I'm totally happy with my C|24 so far! Great Job Digi