Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 10:33 PM

Default backwards tracks

HI All
I'm looking to find an answer on either recording backwards tracks or taking some tracks and turning them backwards. I've looked high and low through the duc and cannot seem to find answers. Also looked through the manuals. Has anybody done this with LE before?

thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: backwards tracks

You do it in Audio suite. Select the region or portion of region and process using reverse. For real fun , verb the heck out it, turn it around again. Fun for days

Brian
Old 02-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Select the track or portion of a track you want to reverse. Click on the Audio Suite tab at the top of your screen and find the "Reverse" plugin. Voila.

Kyle
Old 03-01-2005, 01:28 AM

Hi,
I've been using the Reverse plugin for years. Whenever you need something crazy, just select a random region of audio and reverse it. What I'd like to know is, is there any way to set Pro Tools to record backwards, in the same way that you can record at half speed?

Tim.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:35 AM

Yes there is a way to record backwards and it's the only way to do it.
By singing or speaking backwards.

Sorry I couldn't resist!!!

David
Old 03-01-2005, 08:02 AM

?dne eht ta gnitrats gnos eht gniyalp yrt ton yhW

,tseB

egdiR eulB

MacBook Pro i7, 1TB SSD OSX 10.9.5
Glyph 1tb External HD 7200
002, Mbox Mini (both still working on OSX 10.9.5)
(Mbox records well, static on playback. Output works through MBP headphone jack)
External Acer 23" Screen

Still waiting to choose and to install PT 10-11-12

Old system (still running):

Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 5.5 gig memory
160 (main) & 80 (audio) gig internal hd's
OSX 10.4.11
PTLE 7.1,CS10,
002 Console
Reason 3.0, Live 5.2.2
Old 03-01-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Hi,
I've been using the Reverse plugin for years. Whenever you need something crazy, just select a random region of audio and reverse it. What I'd like to know is, is there any way to set Pro Tools to record backwards, in the same way that you can record at half speed?

Tim.
Uh, no. Not without that Time Machine ((c) H.G.Wells) plugin, or letting Superman carry your computer and fly around the world backwards really fast, or altering your hard drive so that it spins the other way. This is a joke, right?
digi 001, PT LE 5.3
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM

No, it's not a joke... just think about it for a second. You select a point in the song where you want to record from and instead of recording forward (ie red shading moving from left to right) it moves backwards (ie red shading moves from right to left). The benefit of this is that you could record, for example, a guitar solo, and while you're playing you would be able to hear musical components in the pre-recorded tracks (albeit backwards) that would give you a greater sense of where you are in the song. Because there is no reverse recording in Pro Tools (and I'm sure there isn't, I just thought I'd put the idea out there) you have to play along with the backing track like you would normally. This means that any changes in tempo/key/etc. will cause the solo to sound out of time or tune when it is reversed later using the Audiosuite plugin.

And before you say "that's impossible!", consider this. You can scrub/shuttle backwards and hear pre-recorded tracks in reverse, so Pro Tools is obviously capable of reading audio backwards, surely it's just as simple for it to record backwards. Recording in reverse has been around in analogue recordings since the 60's... why would it be considered "a joke" to have this implemented into digital recording.

Are you an amateur who doesn't really have a clue, or are you just an [bleep]?

Tim.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:56 PM

I can believe I got bleeped for saying "[bleep]"!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM

I think backwards and reverse recording is being confused here. Certainly "reverse recording" has been practized as long as you have had reel-to-reel tape, simply by swopping the reels around. But what happens is just that you play back what you already have recorded backwards, but you are still recording your new track forwards, in reverse as it were.

I don't see how you could ever record the end of a phrase, whether it be backwards or just plain oldfashioned forwards, before you actually get to say or play it, no matter what.

Cheers
lnl