Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2004, 09:30 AM

Default 4 ways to do it

Suggestions

1. Submix some elements and commit
2. Overdub some of this stuff
3. Treat is like an orchestral recording.... 3 Omni's on a Decca tree and area mics
4. Buy two HD rigs and lock them together if you're hell bent on discrete tracks for all of this

TL
Old 11-10-2004, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Input / Output Connections

Quote:
4. Buy two HD rigs and lock them together if you're hell bent on discrete tracks for all of this

How would I do that?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 AM

Anybody ?
Old 11-12-2004, 09:52 AM

make them share a WC connection and smpte. Bring the main output of rig 1 into an aux input on rig2.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:07 AM

So I'd get a Sync I/O and take the Output to one of the 192 I/Os WC Input, then take the out from there to the other 192 I/O then out from there to the input of the Sync I/O to make it a complete loop? Also, I know this maybe a stupid question, but exactly what is the SMPTE? I don't see anything in the info on the site about it. Are you talking LTC, EBU ?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 PM

I think that if you want to Mix or records 5 drummers (16 mic each ) 5 guit / 5 bass / and keyboards and if you don't know what is SMPTE , I think that it will be not very easy for you

Make sure also with your hard drive because if you choose analod tape recording it will be more difficult to synchronise
5 X 24 analog tracks .

See you and good luk with your records !

Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 PM

>Also, I know this maybe a stupid question, but exactly what is the SMPTE? I don't see anything in the >info on the site about it. Are you talking LTC, EBU ?

>if you don't know what is SMPTE , I think that it will be not very easy for you

Hi Spy,

It's not a stupid question. SMPTE means Society of Motion Picture TV Engineers, and it really has nothing to do with what you are trying to do. Amateurs refer to time code as SMPTE sometimes. It's basically like saying: "Does your unit have a Society of Motion Picture TV Engineers output port on TRS or simply RCA?" Like, do actual engineers come out of the port?

He may have been refering to LTC but who knows, since it's out of context. LTC stands for longitudinal time code. Some people call it Linear Time Code too, since traditionally it was sometimes sourced on a linear medium.
Old 11-13-2004, 07:49 PM

Could I use MTC some how. Not really sure how that works. I was thinking Taking the MTC output from Sync I/O Into the 9 or 10 input on the Midi I/O and then use the outputs from there into the two systems. ( Outputs 9 and 10 are split inputs, there are two 9 outputs and only one input, same for 10. ) Would that work for SMPTE ?

-Andrew
Old 11-14-2004, 04:11 AM

MIDI TC Out from SYNC I/O will only run while online AND running - which is a bit of a drag.
If you use an ordinary USB-MIDI interface, like an MT4 or so, and enable and route the 'MTC to port' checkbox in session setup window, you will have permanent MTC out at the MIDI interface. You can also send MMC this way. So you may be able to machine control your second PT rig from the first one - although I haven't tried this. Might even be possible to scrub both rigs this way, as with VVTR this does work.

But you will still best use a common master word clock for both rigs.

Cheers

Florian
Old 11-14-2004, 05:46 AM

Quote:
It's not a stupid question....
He may have been refering to LTC but who knows, since it's out of context.
How's that out of context when directly referring to locking 2 rig together? Sorry, but SMPTE TC (and it's MTC derivative) should be part of basic engineering knowledge.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.