How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2022, 04:18 AM

Default Easiest way to create tempo and meter map from a click track

Hi all,

I was sent a wav file of a click track of a song with various tempo and meter changes. I *believe* that this click track was created in Logic.

What is the easiest way to create a matching tempo and meter map in ProTools? Some of the possibilities on my end might be:

1) Use Beat Detective to extract a Tempo Map and then manually insert meter changes where needed.

2) Use some other function in ProTools that I'm not aware of?

3) Ask the person who created the click to export a tempo (and meter?) map from Logic that could then simply be imported somehow into ProTools. Is this a possibility?

I've never had to do this before, so any help you can provide would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

John
Old 02-24-2022, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Easiest way to create tempo and meter map from a click track

I have always asked the sender of such, to include a midi file of the session that the tracks were recorded in. MIDI will send tempo, meter, key, etc. then just import that.

I have also used Melodyne Studio to determine then export as midi a tempo map.

Beat Detective works if you have the fortitude, but I tend to lack the stick-to-it-tive-ness. Yeah, lazy.

Import midi works the best for me. Your mileage may vary of course.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 02-24-2022, 07:51 AM

If somebody's already done the work in Logic then definitely just get the midi map from them - it's simple and will save you tons of time. If you can't get that then Beat Detective, manual identification, melodyne can all work. Logic's tools for dealing with this are much better than Pro Tools'; if it's really complex and I couldn't get the midi map I'd probably pull the click track *back* into Logic and have it build the tempo map using "Beats from Regions" and export it myself to Pro Tools.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 02-24-2022, 08:03 AM

Like they say, just ask for the midi file and you can import the tempo and signatures from there.

If not, beat detective is really good at this once you get used to it. I have even used it to generate a tempo map to live shows. You can then sort out double bass drums with less than perfect timing and sync delays.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:13 AM

if you can't get the MIDI file and you happen to have Slate Trigger, you can use it to generate the MIDI file. you will however have to add in the time change events manually!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 02-25-2022, 09:51 AM

Hey thanks for all these great suggestions! So much appreciated!