How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRickard View Post
I am a dual DAW user. I use Nuendo and Pro Tools HD 10 without Avid hardware (like 10 with the toolkit). I like both programs.

However I find that the plugin delay compensation in Pro Tools is not enough and it is frustrating. Of course we need to be vigilant about minding our settings and using our ears to make sure all is well but this is not the 1900s anymore. Nuendo does this very well. Why not Pro Tools?

It strikes me as odd that most users would like no limit and that many plugins have a large delay yet some people are not looking at Pro Tools as the problem. They see that everyone except Pro Tools is on the wrong side of this. Maybe the "singular" Avid could fix it instead of the "plural" everyone else.

Instead of blaming every software company that has a delayed plugin and every user who doesn't want the trouble of time consuming workarounds like me, maybe Pro Tools could fix it. Apologizing for Avid won't help. They need to hear from us that it is a problem.

Dean
Delay comp in PT 10 without HD hardware has 16383 samples of Delay comp. at 48k. Personally I've never been able to run out of it. Everyone mixes differently I realize, but out of curiosity, on a typical track, what are you using for plugs to run out of it? I'm curious what is different in what I use, that I never hit that ceiling.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necjamc View Post
Delay comp in PT 10 without HD hardware has 16383 samples of Delay comp. at 48k. Personally I've never been able to run out of it. Everyone mixes differently I realize, but out of curiosity, on a typical track, what are you using for plugs to run out of it? I'm curious what is different in what I use, that I never hit that ceiling.
I'd like to know also. I hit the old limit a time or two with waves debreath. But now that is over 16k samples I can't imagine getting close.

Have you made sure you've set it to maximum in the playback engine settings?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Protools 9 delay compensation limit

One instance of the UA Precision Multiband will do it. There other combinations, usually Universal audio if I stack too many of the wrong kind. And yes I am at the 16k samples buffer.

Dean

Last edited by DRickard; 12-09-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: addition needed.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
One instance of the UA Precision Multiband will do it. There other combinations, usually Universal audio if I stack too many of the wrong kind. And yes I am at the 16k samples buffer.

Dean
Turning down your playback buffer will help with UA plugs. :)
Old 12-10-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:

Dean

You hitting that celling I would say it something not setup correctly or maybe look at your RAM. That's a HUGE buffer, especially with a DSP powered plug.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM

I like running a the largest buffer for better stability with larger projects. The one I'm working on now is medium sized and so may be OK with a smaller buffer. I may be wrong on this but I didn't think the the audio buffer would have an affect on the buffer a plugin required. I will give it a try. And yes it is true, some of the UA plugs have a very large buffer. I am running windows 7 64 bit with 12 gig of ram. Even though Pro Tools is only 32 bit, there is plenty of available ram according to my meters.

Dean
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I like running a the largest buffer for better stability with larger projects. The one I'm working on now is medium sized and so may be OK with a smaller buffer. I may be wrong on this but I didn't think the the audio buffer would have an affect on the buffer a plugin required. I will give it a try. And yes it is true, some of the UA plugs have a very large buffer. I am running windows 7 64 bit with 12 gig of ram. Even though Pro Tools is only 32 bit, there is plenty of available ram according to my meters.

Dean
I don't totally understand why, and don't own UA plugs, but I do know the playback buffer setting affects the latency. Let us know what you find. :)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
You hitting that celling I would say it something not setup correctly or maybe look at your RAM. That's a HUGE buffer, especially with a DSP powered plug.
The UAD "DSP" here with a resampling plugin requires a huge buffer, completely different beast and being "DSP" is completely unrelated to HD/HDX DSP and small buffer sizes possible with Pro Tools HD. The UAD documentation discusses all this in detail, and provides tables of delay times -- for example the precision multiband (the worse case plugin) has a delay of 16,896 samples at 48 kHz, 33,792 samples at 96 kHz. Its a mastering plugin, stick it on an output bus, its not indented to be used elsewhere.

Darryl
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
The UAD "DSP" here with a resampling plugin requires a huge buffer, completely different beast and being "DSP" is completely unrelated to HD/HDX DSP and small buffer sizes possible with Pro Tools HD. The UAD documentation discusses all this in detail, and provides tables of delay times -- for example the precision multiband (the worse case plugin) has a delay of 16,896 samples at 48 kHz, 33,792 samples at 96 kHz. Its a mastering plugin, stick it on an output bus, its not indented to be used elsewhere.

Darryl
That is A LOT!!! Seems like they can try and code that better for better latency. Not sure just seem like a whole lot!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ManLA View Post
That is A LOT!!! Seems like they can try and code that better for better latency. Not sure just seem like a whole lot!
It is a lot.

In fact, it's really the only reason people come here complaining about ADC caps... it's usually because of THAT plugin. People using a mastering plug on other tracks and then bitching about the latency being half a minute.

I use some pretty damn expensive plugins, and not one of them comes anywhere near even 8000 samples. 33k is ridiculous. I wouldn't even bother with a plug that induces that much latency.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515