Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 10:11 AM

Default MIDI track routing to Aux track quick question

Hi, I'm trying to get a MIDI track to playback audio via an Aux track as its supposed to for my Fantom X8. I set the MIDI input and output in the MIDI track channel strips to my Fantom X8 no problem. My problem lies in the Aux track. When I go to select the input on the Aux track, it does not show me any selections that would match the Fantom X8? I can choose from buses and just the normal audio inputs like mono 1, mono 2, etc. Am I missing a simple step here in routing this MIDI track correctly?

Thanks for the help

Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM

Default Re: MIDI track routing to Aux track quick question

Quote:
When I go to select the input on the Aux track, it does not show me any selections that would match the Fantom X8?
Which physical input on your Digidesign hardware is the Audio output of your Fantom plugged into? (this is a crucial step; you will hear no sound if you aren't routing the audio output of the instrument to an input). That would be the physical input you would select as the input for your aux track.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 AM

My Fantom X8 audio outputs are inputed in my Digirack 002 Input 1 and Input 2. Guide me through please if you can. Thx

Old 09-27-2006, 12:02 PM

I just did.
Quote:
That would be the physical input you would select as the input for your aux track.
Select inputs 1&2 on your stereo aux. (Make sure that the line/mic selector on the front is set to "line" for both 1 & 2).

Done.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Old 09-27-2006, 12:44 PM

Is anything else required spkguitar in order to ensure when I play back my recorded midi track that the sound plays? I will of course do all of my music on the Fantom X8 using the performance mode which utilizes all 16 of the midi tracks to ensure the sounds play as well. Is Middam and the middev files for the Fantom X8 absolutely necessary to here sounds through all of the patches or will the X8 still be able to handle all of that without it in performance mode? Damn Midi setup is a bit tricky till I figure this out. Thanks and I appreciate the help

Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Is anything else required spkguitar in order to ensure when I play back my recorded midi track that the sound plays?
What, you mean besides choosing the proper MIDI channel per track, choosing the patch that you want per track, making sure that PT is set to MIDI Thru, record arming the track(s), actually recording the tracks... etc, etc??
Quote:
Is Middam and the middev files for the Fantom X8 absolutely necessary to here sounds through all of the patches
No. Not at all. midnam/middev files are just so that it makes it easier for you to select them by name, instead of by bank/patch number
Quote:
or will the X8 still be able to handle all of that without it in performance mode?
Yes, it should be able to handle it. As I said, midnam/middev files just make it easier.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM

spkguitar: What would be perfect is if you could send me the steps to get all of this working correctly, from setting up from the Midi Studio in PT, to if Midi Thru needs to be set or not, etc. My setup is pretty straight forward: Digi002 and Fantom X8. The Midi connections are as follows

Fantom X8 - Midi Out to Midi in 002 then Midi Out 002 to Midi in Fantom X8

The Fantom X8 is connected to inputs 1 and 2 on the 002

I have studio monitors on the normal TRS outputs on the 002

Thanks again spkguitar...you are the man

Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Why are you using an aux tr?
Im not quite sure whwt you trying to do but if you have everything set up right,all you should have to do is arm the track play the instrument ....bingo=sound

brandy
Old 09-28-2006, 05:56 AM

Brandy, all I'm trying to do is record MIDI from my Roland Fantom X8 keyboard to Pro Tools (which I can easily do) and then have Pro Tools play the recorded MIDI audio back so I can hear it (currently the part I am having trouble with). Normally with a MIDI track, you must route it to an Aux track so you can hear the sounds you have recorded during playback. This is the part I am stuck on.

Brandy, with an Instrument track, I am not 100% sure if what I'm trying to do can be accomplished. Experts, please jump in and assist me with this please

Old 09-28-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Normally with a MIDI track, you must route it to an Aux track so you can hear the sounds you have recorded during playback. This is the part I am stuck on.
Hi there ,

Just to be clear on this: You don't route a midi track to an aux track. You route the midi track (the output) to your Fantom X8. So the Fantom will hear the midi and will output audio (which will go to the 1 & 2 (jack) inputs) , which you will receive on your stereo aux track (while it's INPUT is set to 1 & 2).

Hope this helps...

(ps. Why would you use an instrument track? I thought it was of more use for softsynths and not perse for a hardware one you have...)