Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-18-2006, 11:14 PM

Default 2 M-Powered systems

Hey guys-

I have my primary home mac based M-Powered system where all my gear is, but had a question.

If I got a laptop, bought another interface for the laptop and transferred my ilok, could I use it on my laptop with all my plugin authorizations? Looking for a portable system to do editing and stuff on while im away.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Default Re: 2 M-Powered systems

to do it legally and by the books,
you would have to purchase another software version of PTMP
for your laptop.

Depending on what your interface is (a FW or USB connection)
you would be able to use that interface with your mobile setup.
There is a relatively cheap option for this.. Buy a Transit interface for editing only.
Its small and portable.

However, Im sure your current PTMP software can be installed on your laptop and work
without issue. But technically and legally its not valid as you signed up for 1 license
per computer.. You could always uninstall the PTMP from your desktop and install PTMP to your
laptop as you wanted/needed to. That is legal.

EBC
Old 09-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Quote:
to do it legally and by the books,
you would have to purchase another software version of PTMP
for your laptop.

However, Im sure your current PTMP software can be installed on your laptop and work
without issue. But technically and legally its not valid as you signed up for 1 license
per computer.. You could always uninstall the PTMP from your desktop and install PTMP to your
laptop as you wanted/needed to. That is legal.

EBC
Are you just saying this because of other companies policies? or have you gotten this from Digi?

because i'm almost positive that it's ok to install your Mpowered on multiple computers, that's the reason why they have the Ilok so you have to plug it in the computer for while you are using it.

It's not like you would be able to use both systems at the same time
Old 09-19-2006, 12:51 PM

That actually sounds like Microsoft's policies for Windows XP (and others). And pretty much, the policy is because you can only use the 1 serial number once. Even after reformatting, you need to call Microsoft for a new key number. In my opinion, that's it's flaw
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM

did not get this from digi.. just most sw licence agreements are like this..
unless its freeware or other..

it will work having Mpowered on two different computers and moving the iLok and
the interface over as required... you should read the digi agreement in the installer
and find out if you are comfortable doing this.... most people do not lose sleep
over sw license agreements
Old 09-20-2006, 11:53 AM

There are no legal drawbacks to using ProTools on two different systems with one iLok. That is part of the design behind carrying the auth. The only problem comes in using serialised authorizations which you have agreed to only install on one machine. (ie - Microsoft and Apple operating systems and software software agreements.) I work this way all the time.
Use the systems to your advantage! Go out in the world and track some audio! You'll feel free like a bird!

Justin