Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Default BUG mixdown print track records too early with delay comp

Today I recorded the mixdown of a project to a print track. Delay compensation was enabled. The audio ended up one and half PAL frame earlier than the source audio from the AAF sequence. This is an unacceptable situation, out of sync with picture. I never experienced this in PT8 hd. I'll try to reproduce this bug with other projects.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Re: BUG mixdown print track records too early with delay comp

Not so much a bug, but a design limitation. Maybe someday we'll get a preference to fix this automatically, but for now, here's some wise tips from the great Danny Caccavo:

Delay Compensation Caveats when Re-Recording in Pro Tools

When re-recording "In The Box," it is very important to ALWAYS Override Low Latency Monitoring on Record Tracks

The Pro Tools default for Disk Tracks provides an input monitor path with the shortest possible delay. This is for live recording situations so the talent don't hear themselves with an echo. However - for re-recording workflows it is important to disable this low latency mode. This way, input and playback will have the same delay applied to them.

Instructions for Overriding Low Latency Monitoring on Record Tracks:

Only perform these steps on Record Tracks, not on aux tracks.

Step 1: Enable the Delay Compensation view for the mix window (main Protools menu - "View>Mix Window Views>Delay Compensation" - make sure “Delay Compensation” is checked

Step 2: Control-Command-Click on the "cmp" Field in the track's Delay Compensation View (at the bottom of the Mix Window)
"cmp" field will turn blue after control-command-clicking it (Blue signifies that monitoring and playback are delay compensated)

Why is this important?
This assures input monitoring and playback are both delay compensated, assuring that what you are hearing is synchronized as you intended

What about Aux tracks?
Aux tracks already HAVE blue "cmp" fields…
Aux tracks don't have monitor switching so they should always compensate. If you try the above command you will disable any delay comp on the aux track (so don't!)

What Happens If I Forget To Do This?
If you are only recording stems this will NOT affect the sync of the recording. But it will cause what you hear to be 1 or 2 perfs early.
If you are recording to stems AND output them to print-master tracks, the print-master tracks will have improper sync.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi Sounddroid,

Thanks for the fast reply. i will try to do this next time. It is unbelievable that it doesn't go automatically. Isn't that what delay compensation implies? BTW I never noticed this improper sync issue before. Is it because I switched to PT 10 or because I crossgraded from HD2 to HD native?

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM

I am having the same problem (HD5) and i also never had this problem on 9.0.6 or before.

in fact i just discovered this when the show i printed last Thursday just came back as having FAILED QC! http://duc.avid.com/images/smilies/eek.gif

i tried turning "auto low latency off" for each of the record tracks, but did nothing for me. the results were exactly the same as before

but actually un checking the delay comp (option/delay comp) got the print tracks much closer, not necessarily good enough for me to pas QC but closer, for sure.

the only option i have now is to record my show, and then manually re-aligning the recorded stems. basically finishing the job for the DC engine.

sounds to me like a bug, as if the delay comp is not finishing the job. because it is advancing the audio by the amount of the delay comp, but NOT delaying those tracks to time align them again.

hope to get this fixed soon, as i cannot punch in to my stems now!!!!!!!!
if i have a 2 second fix in my show, i get to re record the entire 43 minute show, and manually re align all the stems again.

Oh what fun it isn't...http://duc.avid.com/images/icons/icon8.gif

8core macPro
HD5 PCIE
Old 02-23-2012, 04:52 AM

This problem was driving me crazy as well and I wanted to share my solution.

Here's what I came up with.

I was having the same issue, my print tracks were printing early, by approximately the amount of my total delay compensation in the chain.

I tried manually turning off low latency monitoring on the print tracks and this made no difference.

My Full Mix print track was perfect however, so it finally became clear that the output of the record track is what makes the difference. I was sending my Full Mix print track to a physical output, to monitor during recording, and it was perfectly in sync, but my stems were being sent to a dead internal bus. Changing all the tracks to a physical output resulted in perfectly synced tracks.

It makes sense now that I think about it, since if the output of the track is sent back to an internal bus, the overall delay of the system needs to be accounted for.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:16 PM

I can confirm this, I am on a HD2 system and the audio comes in early from my external samplers when bouncing to disk the audio is really off. Any news how to resolve this? Avid?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounddroid View Post
...for now, here's some wise tips from the great Danny Caccavo...
Thanks for the workaround!
PT10.3.10HD(Tyan s2932 [8core Shanghai 2.7GHZ] 32GB,Win7 SP1); PT10HD(Tyan s2892 w/10GB, Win7 SP1);PT8HD(Dell 690 quad Xeon 3.0, 8GB, Win7,192 I/O, 96 I/O);MacBook Pro: 11R, Apogee Element 46, Focusrite 8PreX PT HD 11.3.2; Mac Pro 3.47 Hex 32GB, OSX 10.12.6/L10.4.2;L9.1.8, 2.64TB; G5 D2.3 4GB, 10.4.11/L8; 12c MP 2.66/32GB PT12.4; Structure, GigaGS3, Kontakt 5, Garratin, Sibelius 8.7+, Finale26,EMU,Vegas Pro 16-10/; RME HDSP9652,MOTU 2408 MKIII/1224/308, FX,Kurz,L5s,Strat,ASAT,JB,Zon