Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2020, 02:16 AM

Default Re: I think I can use my old blue 192 I/O’s

^^ not a problem if 3rd party conversion is faster than Avid's because you can always add delay internally. Problem is if 3rd party conversion is slower than Avid's because latency compensation will be screwed.

Avid needs to find a way for 3rd party boxes to introduce themselves and then create unique digilink profiles for them. That is currently missing.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
The issue you are probably going to run into if using anything other than Digidesign or avid hardware is that the pro tools software's ability to compensate for input and output latency [i.e. for punching in, overdubbing, and so forth] only works with the Digi / avid stuff [and I think Lynx has the same spec, too, so they supposedly also work].

So its not so much what converter has a little more or less latency, its about whether or not the converter's latency is the same as what the software will recognize / set to compensate for.

mightyduck
Is this written on the Avid site anywhere??

Also, I don't expect Avid to get around to creating any 3rd party latency compensation (unique digilink profiles ) because they're behind on development of newer HDX... but they did release a silly card carrier chassis and an MTRX Studio interface that there's no input/output specification like on all other interfaces.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
^^ not a problem if 3rd party conversion is faster than Avid's because you can always add delay internally. Problem is if 3rd party conversion is slower than Avid's because latency compensation will be screwed.

Avid needs to find a way for 3rd party boxes to introduce themselves and then create unique digilink profiles for them. That is currently missing.
If you were referring to my post, I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the check boxes for "compensate for input / output delays after record pass" [or something to that effect]. I actually don't even know where the check boxes are in the version I'm using right now, because I'm just editing and mastering on a laptop with headphones]. I think they only show up when you have [AVID?] interfaces plugged in. Anyhow, I don't think you can achieve that reasonably, or at all, by adding delay internally. Its not the same thing. What it does is print the audio from the jump taking into account precisely the delays engendered by the AD and DA converters. And it really only works right with the AVID or Digi hardware. Like it or not, it effectively ends pretty much all argument against using the AVID or Digi converters, although Aurora always claimed to have cracked it with their Lynx boxes, IIRC [and they may well have].

Best,

mightyduck
Old 02-24-2020, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
Is this written on the Avid site anywhere??
Its in the manual, IIRC. Its also talked about in a bunch of threads here and elsewhere. I remember finding out about this and bringing it up in forums and pissing everyone off a long time ago, esp. because it was really fashionable to be using third party [Apogee] interfaces at the time. I saw an official AVID bug fix "vote" referenced in one other thread. Don't know where they got to with the request.

EDIT: Its on page 59 of the Manual.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 02-24-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:21 AM

I'll check manual.........don't see it posted on site.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
I'll check manual.........don't see it posted on site.
Its definitely there. I just saw it. Don't have the page number handy now, but just search for "after record pass".

mightyduck