Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 02-16-2019, 02:55 PM

Default HDX Hardware and Ableton Live

Is anyone successfully running HDX hardware with Ableton Live? For whatever reason, Ableton Live keeps periodically kicking out HDX as my chosen playback engine. It might happen once an hour, or three times in a minute and require a restart.

It may well be because I am running a much outdated Live 8 on a much more modern High Sierra install... but I figure I would check and see if anyone is running a more stable Ableton setup before I spring for an upgrade.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 PM

Default Re: HDX Hardware and Ableton Live

Same issues with Ableton and HDX here. This has been happening with all versions of HD drivers up to the latest 18.12.0.307 and was happening with Ableton 9 and latest 10. It is extremely frustrating to say the least. Ableton will either drop the hardware or crash altogether. I notice it often happens when I am selecting audio or midi notes, or if I hit playback too quickly after hitting stop. We had to buy UA Apollos for Ableton at another very fancy studio and could not use the HDX rig or Avid interfaces properly with Ableton. I hear people have issues using HD rigs with other DAW's as well. I assume it is the Avid driver because of this. I reaaaaally wish I could use my current Avid converters properly with Ableton and others when needed. Pro Tools software is great, but work calls for other approaches sometimes.
http://www.mckaygarner.com
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor32 View Post
Same issues with Ableton and HDX here. This has been happening with all versions of HD drivers up to the latest 18.12.0.307 and was happening with Ableton 9 and latest 10. It is extremely frustrating to say the least. Ableton will either drop the hardware or crash altogether. I notice it often happens when I am selecting audio or midi notes, or if I hit playback too quickly after hitting stop. We had to buy UA Apollos for Ableton at another very fancy studio and could not use the HDX rig or Avid interfaces properly with Ableton. I hear people have issues using HD rigs with other DAW's as well. I assume it is the Avid driver because of this. I reaaaaally wish I could use my current Avid converters properly with Ableton and others when needed. Pro Tools software is great, but work calls for other approaches sometimes.

Thanks for the reply. At least that saves me a few hundred bucks in upgrades. I only use it for composition and writing, so I think I might just take the headphone jack out of my Mac and route it into my Omni's internal mixer. Hopefully it saves some grief!
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:47 AM

That does work (mac digital out into Omni) but of course there is no audio input into Ableton unless you use HDX hardware (then issues pop up again) or you use a thunderbolt/usb type interface. I am e-mailing with Avid about this again today. Fingers crossed but dunnoo...

I may have to spring for a Quantum interface or something to use with Ableton as input via thunderbolt and lightpipe or spdif out into the Omni for monitoring, but I reaaaaally don't want to
Old 02-21-2019, 08:30 AM

I have been e-mailing with Avid about this the past couple of days. They are checking with their engineers on it. I have seen other users report this issue of dropping the Avid HDX/HDN hardware with Logic as well as Ableton...maybe other DAW's have this issue using coreaudio, too. Yesterday I set up my Focusrite Clarrett into my Avid Omni for monitoring via SPDIF with clocking over the coax connects and it is solid. I'd REALLY rather use my Avid Omni and HD IO, though, because they are wired into my patchbay already and sound very nice.

I sent this to Avid today...

"An additional bit of info...I wonder if it is a memory management thing to the HD Driver or something? Sometimes if I open Ableton and am in a session with no audio or MIDI (a default blank Ableton session with HDX selected as the audio engine), then open a current work session that has audio/midi data and plug-ins on tracks, Ableton will open the new session and get disconnected from the hardware upon opening the session without even hitting playback or anything. I then have to reset the audio engine to Avid HDX. Then, when using the session, sometimes selecting audio in a region or midi notes with the cursor will disconnect Ableton from the HDX hardware and I have to reselect it. Sometimes Ableton will just freeze and I get the Mac spinning wheel. This has been true with all versions of Ableton 9-10 and all versions of the HD driver AND different Mac OS versions in the past few years. If Ableton's CPU gets past 45-50%, this is more likely to happen I think. This does not happen with my other thunderbolt or firewire audio interfaces even when CPU use is much higher. They are never disconnected by the Ableton audio engine. This makes me wonder if part of the issue is with memory to the HD driver. You used to be able to change the audio buffer size from Ableton as well and the HD driver would follow. That is no longer the case much or all of the time (I have not tested every instance but see it happening)."
Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM

That is a very good point about audio inputs! Pro Tools hardware does seem pretty lousy at any kind of mid-session reconfiguration - either taking ages to implement it, or prompting for a restart of Pro Tools. It all feels a little square peg, round hole at the moment.

Hopefully the new audio engine and changes made the coming 2019 release sort it all out. A third party Digilink interface like the Focusrite Reds or Antelope stuff might be an easy solution to the problem. Coreaudio for Ableton, Digilink for Pro Tools.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:57 AM

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier - to get audio out of applications other than Pro Tools when Pro Tools is running, I connected the toslink digital output of my Mac Pro straight into the toslink input of my Omni, and set it to channels 7&8 internally on the mixer. Now anything application that I play audio from in my Mac comes through the omni.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:59 PM

This thread has been inactive for awhile. Does anyone here use current versions of Avid HDX with Ableton Live 11? Am particularly interested if I can use the Avid 192 as an interface.

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:16 PM

The 192 has nothing to do with this, if it works with other DigiLink interfaces it will work with a 192.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:30 AM

I'm also curious about the current behaviour, particular with Apple Silicon because i've been on the same boat.

If it's any help, i traced the problem back to cpu spikes on Ableton, the moment there's a spike, the Pro Tools HD Native Core Audio driver gets booted out from the system.

If i'm running a light Ableton session it works perfectly, but the moment there's a spike (for example, adding a heavy plugin) it boots out the driver.

I guess this is a mix between Avid poor core audio driver and ableton poor efficient/cpu stability

If anyone with the HDN/HDX and with apple silicon can contribute for this info it would be much appreciated.