Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2010, 01:47 PM

Cool What OS should I get??

Ok, this is my first time posting, not sure where to post this, so don't be too harsh.

I really want to start using Pro Tools, and I have been doing lots of research.

Because I am running Vista Premium 64-bit with an AMD processor, my options are limited. Also I do not want to lose my programs or files I already have on Vista.

I tried dual booting with XP professional, but unfortunately, there seem to be issues with AMD processors and XP, one of which, I could not get some necessary drivers. So that's out.

Then I set up Ubuntu Studio, hoping maybe I could somehow use Ardour instead of Pro Tools, but I decided there is too much a learning curve, and there are things I want to do that I can't do in Ardour.

So now I am debating on whether to upgrade to Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, or to purchase a separate computer that runs XP to only use for Pro Tools.

I figure since Windows 7 seems to be well received it will eventually take the place of XP. Also there are drivers for 64-bit Windows 7 available for certain Pro Tools software, which seems to be the only 64-bit that will work with Pro Tools.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking to just get started in Pro Tools, and to spend around $300 for an interface.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Default Re: What OS should I get??

I wouldn't use Vista if I were you.
And the only one I will use for my main DAW is XP Pro (client PC).

So I would buy a new PC, and get it with W7 x64 and get a copy of XP Pro. Make a dual booth and install PT on both, XP and W7.

Now you can work on XP (most stable for me) and still be ready for the future.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM

well definately make sure you have a 32 bit OS for Pro Tools - it won't launch in a 64 bit OS unless you're running Pro Tools Essential at versions 8.0.3.

If I have misunderstood this, someone please correct me.
But Pro Tools will not run in a 64 bit os, therefore limiting its use to under 4GB of Ram.

If this is true, you are wasting your money on buying this crazy powerful machine with 16GB of ram if you plan to use for Pro Tools only. In addition to that, I work in a computer store and we only sell very few computers with 32bit OS's. Which means that the majority of computers we sell (64 bit os's) cannot run Pro Tools, because they are too powerful. This thought angers and confuses me - so someone please tell me I've misunderstood this.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransylvaniaTapes View Post
If I have misunderstood this, someone please correct me.
But Pro Tools will not run in a 64 bit os, therefore limiting its use to under 4GB of Ram.

If this is true, you are wasting your money on buying this crazy powerful machine with 16GB of ram if you plan to use for Pro Tools only. In addition to that, I work in a computer store and we only sell very few computers with 32bit OS's. Which means that the majority of computers we sell (64 bit os's) cannot run Pro Tools, because they are too powerful. This thought angers and confuses me - so someone please tell me I've misunderstood this.
There are benefits to running a 32-bit program in a 64-bit OS. For example, there is more RAM available to the rest of the system, so it's more stable at high RAM usages. Also, you can buy any brand-spanking new PC with whatever OS it comes with and just install 32-bit XP on it and be good to go. There's no such thing as "too powerful".
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 AM

PT M-Powered has been compatible with Vista 64 since v8.0.1

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=354515
Old 05-23-2010, 07:19 PM

I've just started using 8.0.3 with Windows 7 64 bit (which really is 64 or 32 bit depending on what the program is), and it's been pretty good so far.. Stable, fast, etc, but I'm still on the learning curve for protools also.. I used XP Pro on the same machine for *years* (like about 8) with another DAW but ultimately, I wanted to run on my newer machine with dual monitors and dual booting a nightmare on XP.. I had two XP machines dual booting, and one or other *always* got corrupted (as in the MBR or the windows dir).. I tried to upgrade to Vista hoping for better behavior, but decided in a last ditch effort to go to Windows 7. I think it was a good move, as it definitely is faster and feels much more stable, though I'll be the first to admit the transition was not painless. Aside from losing most of the VSTs (which *don't* work with the FXpansion adapter), I'm finding myself buying newer stuff (Komplete 6, etc) to run as RTAS and it feels quick and stable...

That being said, if I had another machine with the dual heads, same disk space, etc, I'd run XP and not worry about stopping all those random services.. Now if I can only stop feeding back without constantly muting, disabling, etc, when I want to record a mic or vocal track... But like, I said, I'm still on the learning curve...