Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 05-01-2018, 03:54 PM

Default MIDI problems

Hello! I'm editing midi notes in Pro Tools, and as of today, I've somehow enabled some kind of setting that has caused a really bothersome problem when editing midi notes. Whenever I move a note, a square with an X will remain at the starting location of the note I just moved. See example photo:

This X'd out "note" doesn't play anything, but that becomes a problem if I'm only moving the note a small distance so that it is still overlapping with that X "note", because when that happens, then the note I just moved drops sound completely as the playback goes over that X. As a consequence, after every single MIDI note move now, I find myself having to move the note completely out of the way so that I can select that X note, enlarge it so that I can easily select it, and delete it, then move the back to where I wanted to move it in the first place.

Needless to say this is getting pretty tedious and ridiculous. I have no idea what I could have changed, as I don't feel I've changed anything at all on either my MIDI controller or my PT session between yesterday (when I wasn't experiencing this) and today.

I also wanted to advertise a post I made in the MIDI forums about a couple of separate MIDI questions, but it doesn't look like that board is very active unfortunately
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398941

Please help!

[edit] I've noticed that the X is merely a fade indicator, as it will go away as I trim out the leftover note to a longer length.

Last edited by pianosdr; 05-01-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Re: MIDI problems

ok so what's even stranger is that this is NOT happening when I move midi notes on sessions that existed as of yesterday. When moving those notes around, everything's fine. But when I record new midi notes on those sessions (or any new session), then the new notes are presenting this problem! I've restarted my midi controller as well as my computer entirely, and even reset the controller back to factory state, and still nothing has solved this problem. This is totally bizarre.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:35 PM

What is your system setup, and which MIDI controller do you have?

It could be that you need to reset your keyboard to factory default. It's usually done holding a couple buttons during powering up.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:39 PM

I figured this out today. My controller (SL88I Studio) has zones attributed to it from the factory state which needed to be removed. I think PT was registering each note press as delivering multiple notes at once and recording those, so when I moved one note, I was seeing the other one left behind.

I still don't understand how this could have only started happening recently and not right out of the box, but for anyone else coming across this, the way I stopped it was by leaving only zone/group 1 enabled. All other zones were turned off.

Thanks Stig.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:11 AM

Glad you got it sorted.