Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2002, 10:08 PM

Default Compacting Files

I've succesfully compacted files in sessions many times, but today every time I tried to compact, my computer froze and corrupted the regions it was working on. Unfortunately I had not backed up before running the compact function and I lost some data. Any suggestions or ideas on what would suddenly cause the compact function to stop working properly? (Tried it in 2 different sessions with same result) [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Thanks.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Compacting Files

I had the same problem you had until i realized something.....my computer just didnt freeze!!!

Compacting is a quite complicated process somehow, and it takes a while (20 min's or so)on a heavily edited song. Digidesign mad a minor designflaw in the progress-bar. It stops, and you think your system frooze, but in fact it is working hard......

To avoid the risk of losing your session, do a "save session copy in" and check the "copy audio-files", and perform the compacting on the copy, not the original. Then check wether everything is still there, and then delete the old session with its audio-files.

Bastiaan
Old 08-21-2002, 08:19 AM

I thought that this might be the case, but when hitting cntrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager, it says PTLE is "not responding". Is that also normal? I thought that meant the program was toast until shut down. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Thanks.
Old 08-21-2002, 08:33 AM

You will often see "Not Responding" on programs that are busy running a batch process.. I have seen this a hundred times on 3D projects during the rendering process, as well as other cpu task intensive processes. This is normal and a little misleading.
|Recent PC to Mac convert|
Old 08-21-2002, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the help. I guess my lack of patience got the best of me once again!