Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-29-2002, 06:26 PM

Default Is auralex worth it?

...or is there better?

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Is auralex worth it?

..or cheaper, and just as good. Wondering the same thing myself...
Old 05-29-2002, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Is auralex worth it?

Auralex is actually quite inexpensive for what it does... where else can you spend under $1000 and get these kind of results (and it looks good too).

Compare the cost of Auralex to fabricating yourself (factor cost of your time and acquiring materials) and will it be as good?

There are many things you can do without foam - but if you need absorption, the 3" wedge is hard to beat cost/performance/visually appealing.

If you get Auralex, invest in an electric carving knife (about $15-20) - it makes the install go quick.

I also suggest you take advantage of Auralex's free consulting service... fax them detailed drawings of your space, and they will tell you what they think you should do with it. Of course, they will tell you to buy their products -- but they also advised me to use construction materials to solve a problem that their foam wasn't most appropriate for.

I'm very happy with how my room sounds, partially from the assistance by Auralex. (I also own some RPG products and my carpenter built many acoustic treatements as well -- and in case anyone's wondering, yes, we built a room within a room - the acoustic treatments have nothing to do with the soundproofing, which we did quite well, thank you.)

Considering the look, and performance, I think the stuff is a good value.

jr