Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-02-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Mbox 2 mini problem

Got my first mbox yesterday, tho i've some problems with the installing.
I installed exactly as the manual said, but I can't get it to work.
I get no sound when I'm using pro tools or in any other program.

Here's a screenshot wich shows what I think may be the problem, or something.

http://www.speedyshare.com/863550158.html

I kinda suck in both english and computers, but if anyone would like to help me, I would be very happy
Old 03-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 mini problem

There are some things you have to check first, hopefully I can be of some help. First, when you plug in the MBox, load the drivers from the CD. Even when you boot windows it will tell you it found new hardware, then ask if you would like to intall the drivers for it, go ahead and let Windows do this anyways, it will load them from the CD and Windows will be happy. It will say your hardware is ready to use. Sometimes it will refer to is as a peripheral device or remote device, my system actually recognized it twice and I had to install the drivers twice, but now Windows is happy. So now that it is ready, disable your previous sound card and make sure your settings under audio are set for the Digidesign device, under playback, recording and Midi. Also make sure you are using the AISO driver instead of MME. This is usually done within the program. Now restart your computer so that Windows will locate everything as set it up. Launch Pro Tools, making sure your interface is plugged in with the green light on. If a session start window appears, you have had success, otherwise you have to back track and see where you went wrong, it is a little more of a process than they advertise, but it is fully compatible with Windows and works great once you have set up everything. I hope this helps you and have fun...
Old 03-02-2007, 07:50 PM

There are some things you have to check first, hopefully I can be of some help. First, when you plug in the MBox, load the drivers from the CD. Even when you boot windows it will tell you it found new hardware, then ask if you would like to intall the drivers for it, go ahead and let Windows do this anyways, it will load them from the CD and Windows will be happy. It will say your hardware is ready to use. Sometimes it will refer to is as a peripheral device or remote device, my system actually recognized it twice and I had to install the drivers twice, but now Windows is happy. So now that it is ready, disable your previous sound card and make sure your settings under audio are set for the Digidesign device, under playback, recording and Midi. Also make sure you are using the AISO driver instead of MME. This is usually done within the program. Now restart your computer so that Windows will locate everything as set it up. Launch Pro Tools, making sure your interface is plugged in with the green light on. If a session start window appears, you have had success, otherwise you have to back track and see where you went wrong, it is a little more of a process than they advertise, but it is fully compatible with Windows and works great once you have set up everything. I hope this helps you and have fun...
Old 03-03-2007, 02:23 AM

Thanks man so what your saying is that windows somethimes recognize it as other stuffs and i have to re-install til it works?

Well I'll try, thanks again!
Old 03-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Pretty much, for some reason I found that even when I used the intaller disk to install the drivers, Windows still wanted to install it itself, I guess by default Windows will install any plug and play devices automatically, via a Microsoft descision. Like I said I had to install the hardware twice because by default it recognized it first as a periferal device, as well as a remote device, this was just on my system but I'm sure if you're runnging XP Pro SP2 it will behave the same. Some say why install it tiwce but then again you're dealing with two different programs and they both must be satisfied, in my opinion. The DVD driver satisfies the Pro Tools requirement, then Windows must also be ok with you're device, make sense? So it's just doing its job and the result will be a seamless operating environment...

John
Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 PM

Okey, we'll ive reinstalled in some times now and i've noticed that if i install the thing windows want's me to install for the "usb-audiodevice" windows recognize it as a "mbox 2" soundcard device but when the disc installs the "Digidesign Audio driver" it recognize it as Digidesign Mbox 2 : Chan 1-2
playback but no record.

I'm sorry for my bad english but hope you'll understand
Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
it recognize it as Digidesign Mbox 2 : Chan 1-2
playback but no record.
What you are seeing is correct and normal. Looking in Windows Sound Properties, you are seeing the result of the Digi Wave driver. It is a separate driver that allows you to use your Mbox to play pack other audio applications when not using Pro Tools. It is 2 channel, playback only... no record option.
It has nothing to do with the way the device works inside Pro Tools.
See page 17 of the Getting Started guide.

Quote:
Windows still wanted to install it itself, I guess by default Windows will install any plug and play devices automatically
This is also normal and mentioned in the Getting Started guide installation instructions. You are instructed to ignore the New Found Hardware window. See page 11 of the Getting Started guide.

As to you not hearing any sound... What are you trying to listen to? Are you in the Pro Tools application?

Where are your speakers connected? To the Mini or to your computer?
How is your "Mix" knob set? Have you read about it's intended use?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Yup, the MBox should not be used as a sound card, it is for exclusive use in Pro Tools only! Keep your default sound card enabled as this is what you will use OUTSIDE of Pro Tools...I hope this will work, I use my USB MAudio Fast track as a sound card, it is less picky than the MBox...

John
Old 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM

Yup, the MBox should not be used as a sound card, it is for exclusive use in Pro Tools only! Keep your default sound card enabled as this is what you will use OUTSIDE of Pro Tools...I hope this will work, I use my USB MAudio Fast track as a sound card, it is less picky than the MBox...

John