Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8

Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Angry Will Pro Tools work with my Xenyx Mixer?

I have the following:
Pro Tools 10.2 (LE I think)
iMac i5 with Mountain Lion
Behringer Xenyx 1622 Mixer
M-Audio BX8 Monitors

I need Pro Tools to work with the mixer but it simply won't work well. When It does work it's very quiet. Here's what I want:

I want to to plug in multiple microphones into my mixer and record those into Pro Tools on individual tracks. Is that possible? If so please treat me like a five-year-old in telling me how to make a the right paths or route this stuff because I've tried all I know how to do. If that's not possible then does that mean that all that goes through the mixer (through USB) into my computer is one sound?

Besides that, the other problem I'm having is the audio I do record (which is very quiet for some reason) is not able to be played back through the USB to the monitors plugged into the mixer. I have the playback engine as Pro Tools Aggregate. Then in midi setup I have the I/O both set to USB audio CODEC.
I can record quiet music into one channel and not even play it back. This is beyond frustrating. Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools work with my Xenyx Mixer?

Tunaman,
More than likely, your only going to be able to record a stereo mix from the mixer via usb. That means you might be able to record 2 separate mono tracks. I would suggest digging into the Xenyx Manual.

As for low level recording, it could be as simple as raising the gain on your mic pre before hitting pro tools.

Lastly, I don't know why you would select PT aggregate for your playback device, unless you are using two interfaces which you haven't mentioned.

Don't quite understand your MIDI comment, but any MIDI connection is irrelevant to this particular situation.

Pro Tools | latest
Mac Mini Server | OSX | Current
16GB Ram | SSHD
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 08-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Thanks a lot for the reply!

The MIDI part was about the application "Audio MIDI Setup". There I was able to put both the output and input to the USB codec (the mixer). I can't use just the USB Codec in Pro Tools as the playback engine because there are two USB codec's, one for the 2 inputs and one for the two outputs. So either one I click on will not work because I have to have both an input and an output.

I tried calling avid but theres no way I am paying 40 dollars just for one phone call.

Thanks for the help.

-Chris
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Also, is there a relatively cheap input device that would record multiple channels to multiple tracks in pro tools?