Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2009, 06:19 AM

Default Axiom25/m-tron Pro newbie

I've aquired the tools.

3 gig Imac/Pro tools LE 7.4/Axiom25/M-Tron Pro

I think I've got it set up and connected right (USB). I can go to the plugin menu on an Instrument track and I can select M-tron Pro. The image of the M-tron pops up and I can click on the keys or press them on the controller and I can see them being pressed on the screen.

That's where I'm stuck. I get no sound, no meter reading. nothing.

I'm sure I'm supposed to be bussing the midi info somewhere to hear it, I just don't know where.

Am I close?
Old 04-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Axiom25/m-tron Pro newbie

Bump

Am I not providing the right info?

I'm trying to find the equivelent of a MIDI for idiots video walk through, but most of what I find is more of a "look at all the amazing things you can do once you get past the midiot stage" type of thing.

From what I've learned, evidently there are so many different types of setups that its tough to find some one with a similar set of problems. At this point I'm just trying to find some basic info about what I should be doing to get my Axiom25 to make sounds in protools via the m-tron pro software.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:02 AM

Have you record enabled the track?

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Blue Meanie View Post
Bump

Am I not providing the right info?

I'm trying to find the equivelent of a MIDI for idiots video walk through, but most of what I find is more of a "look at all the amazing things you can do once you get past the midiot stage" type of thing.

From what I've learned, evidently there are so many different types of setups that its tough to find some one with a similar set of problems. At this point I'm just trying to find some basic info about what I should be doing to get my Axiom25 to make sounds in protools via the m-tron pro software.
Make a stereo Aux. Insert Mtron

Make a MIDI track. Leave it's input set to all. Set it's output to Mtron ch 1

Record enable the MIDI track. Play...

What results do you get..?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Thanks!

Yes, I am in record mode.

The simple step by step info provided is perfect. I've got all of that done and I'm getting levels in the midi channel. The sound is getting into the mac, just not out. Still getting no sound though.

Aux channel insert, mtron pro.

Problem with mbox2? USB is hooked up correctly.

Checked preferences, sound working on youtube vids.

?
Old 04-18-2009, 06:08 PM

Are you getting levels on the Aux track? What do you mean "sound is getting into the mac"? How do you know this?...

Your monitors need to be connected to the mbox. You can only hear ProTools audio through your Digidesign interface..
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM

No levels in the Aux track, but I am getting levels in the midi track. Should I see the same readings in both?

Monitors are connected to the mbox, and I can open other PT sessions and listen to them. What I'm working in is a session set up just for learning midi, so there is no other audio tracks.

By "into the mac" I mean when I play the Axiom25, I get a meter reading in the midi channel.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
By "into the mac" I mean when I play the Axiom25, I get a meter reading in the midi channel.
Ahhh... But you left off the first part about getting "sound". If your Aux track is not showing activity on the meter, then you are not creating any audio. MIDI is not audio... It is only note data that triggers a sound module (M-tron) to make audio..

Since your MIDI track is receiving MIDI and your Aux is not responding, then either the MIDI is not making it to the Mtron plugin, or Mtron is not configured correctly..

1st thing to check is to make sure MIDI THRU is checked under the options menu.. I have a feeling this is your problem..

If not, on your MIDI track, when you click on the output selector, what are your options under M-tron?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:17 AM

Checked Options>Midi Thru and it's checked.

Midi Track Output selector Mtron Otions are:

none
Mtron Pro One>Channel 1 (checked)
Predfined>mbox2 port 1
USB Axiom25 port 1

"Mtron is not configured correctly"
Starting to seem possible, How would you check that?

Edit: When I physically press keys on the Axiom25 I get a reading, but when I click on the keys on the image of the mtron, i see them being pressed, but get NO reading on the midi track.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
when I click on the keys on the image of the mtron, i see them being pressed, but get NO reading on the midi track.
I wouldn't expect anything to show up in the midi track. It is "upstream" of the plugin. I think the keys are only there to audition sounds.. Do you hear audio when you use the plugin's keys? Make sure the output of the aux is set to analog 1-2..

I have no idea what could be the problem with mtron as I don't have that plug. I would say try a different plug in, like Xpand, just to test the system. If Xpand works, all other things being equal, then you need to look into possible problems with Mtron.