Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 PM

Default How is the Massive Pack?

Very interested to hear reports back from those who got the massivepack deal.
Am seriously considering it, mainly for TL Space. Any comments much appreciated.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: How is the Massive Pack?

I bought it mainly for TL Space and I am very happy with it so far. I am also going to take advantage of the upgrade deal that Soundtoys is offering for anyone who owns a MassivePack. You can upgrade to all their plugins for just $495 which I think is pretty cool.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:53 PM

Massive Pack is well worth it IMO. TL Space is exceptional, no latency on TDM, very usable, the only downside is the ammount of DSP it takes on the longer verb/true stereo settings but that's not their fault. It also reads Space Designer IRs which are great if you have Logic. TL are apparently putting up a huge library of IRs on their web site shortly too. Smack! is also extremely good at what it sets out to do, also very usable, works well on many things. Filter bank is a must if you don't already own it. Best EQs at lowest DSP overhead. Sony is excellent but uses more DSP. Massenberg EQ seems cool but I've only used it once so far, smooth sound, odd interface. Soundblender is wonderful, nothing else quite like it for monster modulation patches. MC2000 is great on certain things, I had it before and used it on vocals and bass sometimes, I'm not sure I'd use it on the stereo master myself, though I know others who do and like it for that purpose. The Eventide Harmonizer is nice for certain things but maybe a bit limited. Slightly Rude Compressor I don't honestly get at all myself, some others like it I gather. Speed is well worth having as part of the pack (Pitch & Time is fractonally better IMO). You can set it to be the default in Pro Tools so it works it's magic on the edit page when time stretching - much better than the Digi one.

All in all a no brainer as long as you don't own too many of the plugs already.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the prompt & informative responses!
I will go ahead with this deal I just needed a vote of confidence. Thanks for providing it.

This is my first PTHD system(PTHD2+2x192+1analog expansion) (arriving in 2 weeks), I will have minimal outboard so this deal couldnt come at a better time. Im hoping the bundled plugs +massive pack and my analog console will keep my studio running okay and cover most bases.
Cheers