Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 PM

Default Re: PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency

When I ran Windows(since Protools 5.0 or 6.0) years ago I would reformat my OS drives and reinstall everything once a year. Why? It only took a free day, gave me peace of mind to keep things running smooth, and I didn't have many problems. Same thing when I replaced harddrives...total re-install vs cloning. When I switched over to Mac(Leopard I think) I would do the same thing until I read an article about it being overkill with Mac OS. So I looked up a few other sites and found the same opinions. Being me, I still didn't believe it until I tested for myself. During the next harddrive replacement(Mavericks) I decided to do the software upgrades on the old drive and a total re-install on the new drive. I saw no noticeable improvements in Mavericks or Protools when comparing the two drives. Session cpu usage and overall functionality was pretty much the same. Nothing was wrong with the old drive. I like to replace my drives after so much usage and store them as another backup sorta speak. I've seen brand new drives fail.

(Fast forward)

A few months after upgrading to High Sierra I ran into some random issues and troubleshooting didn't help. On a free day I reformatting/re-installing everything and still had no improvement. 2018.4 was better and now I'm trying 2019.5(Mojave on the MacbookPro and High Sierra on the MacPro). I keep an open mind and think each person's system is unique and may have different issues here and there. I try to keep working and not let the minor stuff bug me out. "Try" being the key word. lol

Fingers crossed..

Last edited by 685; 05-26-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:27 PM

Default PT 2019.5 plug-in efficiency

Doing it the way you outlined is also advisable on Macs.

Yes it will more than likely work fine just doing an in situ update, but erasing and starting fresh means you’re not keeping old, potentially outdated extensions, preferences etc. that could potentially create issues further down the track.

People say car analogies are silly, but I think they’re bang on. Unless your mechanic is a total muppet, when doing a service, they’re not just topping up the oil are they? They flush it out, add the correct amount and type of fresh oil and when necessary, change the filter.

Imagine how your car would eventually run if you didn’t do that. IMHO, the same applies with your computer

BTW - 2019.5 seems to the running really well for most of us using it. I can confirm much better performance than any of the 2018 releases I ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2019, 10:35 PM

I like analogies but in this case I would consider Protools as "the car".

Same brand/model but different model years in some cases... all being driven by many different drivers, on/in many different streets/cities, for many different purposes, etc, etc. So many variables to consider and there may be issues even with proper oil/filter changes.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 PM

Just on a side note I havent notice any plug-in efficiency between PT 2018 or 2019 on Windows 10.
They seem to work with the same efficiency on my system.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
Just on a side note I havent notice any plug-in efficiency between PT 2018 or 2019 on Windows 10.
They seem to work with the same efficiency on my system.

Yeah I’m not seeing an increased plug in count, although TBH, I haven’t really pushed that aspect.

What I am seeing is far less errors. Stability seems much better... so far. This is under Mac OS.

Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2019, 07:26 AM

Since most of the talk here has been about the Mac side,I thought I would weigh in on the Windows side. 2019.5 seems way more efficient here. At a 64 buffer in any previous version, if I tried to add or just open an instance of Ozone8, it would always stop and throw an error. Now it just does what I want with no fuss at all! Same with Melodyne. And, changing buffers shows insignificant system resource change(maybe 4-5% now vs 25-30% before)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-28-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Since most of the talk here has been about the Mac side,I thought I would weigh in on the Windows side. 2019.5 seems way more efficient here. At a 64 buffer in any previous version, if I tried to add or just open an instance of Ozone8, it would always stop and throw an error. Now it just does what I want with no fuss at all! Same with Melodyne. And, changing buffers shows insignificant system resource change(maybe 4-5% now vs 25-30% before)

Hmmm. I have to check again. On my system changing from 1024 (where I work) to 64 shows a significant increase in CPU usage (just like befor).
I'm using Nexus2, Hive, Sylenth, Spire, Battery4, Tranfuser, NI, plus more.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 PM

I actually have Win10 installed on a separate harddrive via bootcamp. If I get a chance I will try out 2019 and compare it.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
I actually have Win10 installed on a separate harddrive via bootcamp. If I get a chance I will try out 2019 and compare it.

I tested yesterday and could not se any improvement in plugin efficiency. However I work at 96kHz so I guess that could probably affect the efficiency.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:35 AM

Uhm.. if a plugin algorithm itself is unchanged, it will use 100% the same resources as before 2019.5 update.

What can change; however, is "spiking" behaviour of some plugins -- and because less spiking means possibly more plugins therefore it seems to be more efficient.

I'd just say PT feels snappier as ever before since DigiDesign PT 8.1.1 HD (in other words best Avid so far)