Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-26-2019, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Best AAX DSP reverb available?

Sure, and it is a powerful system. The real problem you run into is with wide pathways, and wide sends. It chews up so much DSP. And I literally max out my DSP cards and it limits what I can do. I can literally max out my DSP without instancing a single DSP plugin. Purely Avid's mix engine, can max out an HDX3!

Open that on a Native system, no such limitation. So I'm excited (and angry) by the new announcement of extra voices purchasable for Native. I'm sure my work will buy as many as I need, so I'll be able to move away completely from DSP soon! Good riddance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
Hi Tim

I can only speak from my own experience, and for me, mixing stereo, 5.1 and 7.1 - music only - HDX3 + a souped up cheese grater is very powerful, and works very well for me.

I don't recall saying that Native + HDX is *always* more powerful than Native.... perhaps I was unclear. I apologize for not being more clear. I'm only speaking about my experiences and how things work for my workflow.

I am sorry that ProTools while working in 7.1.2 chews up your DSP. I had heard that from someone else who was working in 7.1.2
Perhaps this is a serious software efficiency that needs to be addressed? I'm speculating.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
Sure, and it is a powerful system. The real problem you run into is with wide pathways, and wide sends. It chews up so much DSP. And I literally max out my DSP cards and it limits what I can do. I can literally max out my DSP without instancing a single DSP plugin. Purely Avid's mix engine, can max out an HDX3!

Open that on a Native system, no such limitation. So I'm excited (and angry) by the new announcement of extra voices purchasable for Native. I'm sure my work will buy as many as I need, so I'll be able to move away completely from DSP soon! Good riddance!
I would totally love to see Avid introduce a revised playback engine for HDX that has three options - 'Native', 'AAX-DSP only' and 'Full DSP'. It would make sense really, particularly for the different approaches people use when tracking, overdubbing or mixing.

With that said, you need to be doing some pretty bonkers routing to chew through the DSP with the mix engine. Particularly before hitting the voice limit. It seems I can consistently run 800 or so audio paths on my HDX1 system before the mix engine eats up the DSP. Even with a HDX3 system and 7.1.2 channels, that is a heck load of bussing you have going on there. Any chance of seeing a screenshot of it? At the moment there is no way to even run a 700 voice count, HDX3 session with a maxed mix engine in native. With the release of PT2019 in the coming months, it will be interesting to see what native can really do!

Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12. OSX 10.13.6. HDX. Avid Omni. Mac Pro 5,1 12x 3.33Ghz. 64Gb. 4x mSata SSD Drives + 4x HDD. Blackmagic Intensity PCIe. ATI Radeon HD5770.

Free Lexicon 224XL Impulse Responses
Free Sony DPS-V77 Impulse Responses
Old 01-27-2019, 07:40 AM

It's quite a common problem us fx editors run into:
Large sessions from HDn won't play back on HDX1. Sometimes they do on HDX2 but there are cases where we need an HDX3 because of the loss of voices from native plugins on HDX.
So yes, a full native mode on HDX would be great! We'd probably only ever need an HDX1 in the theatre or HDX2 max.
Thing is: If we can now buy hundreds of extra voices for HDn how will those sessions ever play back on HDX?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
So yes, a full native mode on HDX would be great!
I thought Avid Audio Server was the way to do this. In theory, this is native-mode using the HDX as audio I/O only. But to be honest, the times I've tried enabling this mode on an HDX system have failed. Is anyone working this way?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I thought Avid Audio Server was the way to do this. In theory, this is native-mode using the HDX as audio I/O only. But to be honest, the times I've tried enabling this mode on an HDX system have failed. Is anyone working this way?

It probably can do it, but it sounds more like a backup plan by Avid in the event of installing a HD Driver that is too modern for the version of Pro Tools being used.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2018.12. OSX 10.13.6. HDX. Avid Omni. Mac Pro 5,1 12x 3.33Ghz. 64Gb. 4x mSata SSD Drives + 4x HDD. Blackmagic Intensity PCIe. ATI Radeon HD5770.

Free Lexicon 224XL Impulse Responses
Free Sony DPS-V77 Impulse Responses